Is low density RAM faster than high density RAM?

gamerman4

OMG.....the "post thread" button should link to google.com.....

Now regarding your actual question, I've not seen any research on whether the density effects the performance. Manufacturers use low density mostly because low density chips are cheaper and more compatible with comps.
You could argue this, but I can see how high density RAM would be slower since the computer would have to weed through more information per module to find the data it needs rather than having more modules but less to look through but this is just my opinion. Even if there is a performance difference, it would most likely be small and not noticeable during normal use and only seeable through benchmarks (for example, overclock your CPU 20Mhz and see if you can find any difference.)

If you need an explanation on the differences then....
Density:
When a RAM module is built, the manufacturer can design it using high
density or low density chips. For example, modules built with 4 x 64Mb
chips, 8 x 32Mb chips or 16 x 16Mb chips all come out to 256 MB
of RAM. However, the memory controller circuit in a computer must be
able to address the chips on the module - if the memory controller
cannot address higher density chips, that computer will only function
with modules built with lower density chips.
http://www.ordersite.com/canadaram/terms.htm

To explain the above,
Look at this RAM module, it is a stick of 256MB DDR
ramsy5.gif

seeing as there are 8 chips on this side, the other side will in all probability have the same amount. This is 16 chips alltogether. ok now being 256MB, this means 256Mb is divided between 16 chips. Simple math 256/16 = 16. it uses 16 16MB chips to amount to 256MB. These are low density since each chip only contains 16MB of RAM. If you were to somehow find a 256MB DDR chip with 8 RAM chips. then it would be 8 32MB chips to equal 256MB. Most companies will make low density chips for sale since they are compatible in almost anything that supports that RAM standard (DDR, SDRAM, etc).

Last edited:

Saurian

At first I thought it was just a coincidence. Then...I realized that SirKenin has to put the record straight for PCeye every day or two. O_O

That said, the biggest place to find the HD being peddled is at those computer expo's that open up at like your local fairgrounds with vendors and such selling as much as they can. Gotta watch out for those. They really push crap towards the end of like the second day/last day. Also peddling the crap-ram that couldn't be sold as rated and such. I got conned on that when I was younger. :(

Sorry that didn't have *too* much relevance to the thread.

Gamer, that's a good explanation of it too. Picture helps lol.

Last edited:

Arm_Pit

banned
I have always read that highdenisty does have comptiblity problems, but at least with my current motherboard, and my last 3 have worked, coniqune, or not I'm not sure, but im takign a guess, that at least now a days its above 10%.(I have one high and one low, which im honestly not sure how that happened, i ordered one stick of 1GB a long time ago, then recently ordered another 1GB stick from the same place same type and it was different, worked in dual chanell though so i was still happy)

ADE

banned
When I put my high density 1GB with my low density 512 it only shows as 512.... It worked fine on my other computer.

PC eye

banned
When I put my high density 1GB with my low density 512 it only shows as 512.... It worked fine on my other computer.

Apparently the board you are using there has an incompatibly problem when mixing the two different dimms. That can be caused by a few things like timing differences. Refer to the board's specifications for memory types.

SirKenin

banned
It isnt' caused by anything of the sort, ADE, so don't listen to him. It's caused when a board cannot except high density RAM. It's a common problem.

fade2green514

to an extent, yes. its tougher for a company to overclock a higher density module to speeds as high as lower density modules generally speaking they need to add more voltage and therefore it creates more heat as well. just went over this in another thread... but here goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231094
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231087
model
F2-6400CL4D-1GBPK
F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK
note that the only difference is that one is 2x512mb and 1.9-2.0V and the other is 2x1gb and 2.0-2.1V
meaning, to hit the same speeds they needed more voltage... so they're less overclockable.
but yes, if they had the same voltages the higher density ram would need to be underclocked slightly (and therefore slower) to run stable.

PC eye

banned
>>>>Apparently the board you are using there has an incompatibly problem when mixing the two different dimms.<<<<

That can be caused by a few things like timing differences. Refer to the board's specifications for memory types.

It isnt' caused by anything of the sort, ADE, so don't listen to him. It's caused when a board cannot except high density RAM. It's a common problem.

Here I'll will emphasize what I just posted so "you" can read it better!

SirKenin

banned
Yeah, you can emphasize "timing differences" which have nothing to do with it.

Or that two different DIMMs to you were two different size modules.

Or that high density meant more capacity.

Or we can go on, or you can stop while you're still behind.

ADE

banned
Hay guys look at this!!!! I just E-mailed my MOBO Web-site people and this is The EXACT QUOTE!!!

"Yes, the board will support some high density rams, depending on what type of ram you are referring to? Also High density ram are better for over clocking."
Who Knew??

gamerman4

Well naturally, if it wasn't compatible with anything they wouldn't make it ;)

heh heh....
I'm quite sure he meant that there isnt any RAM that is compatible with all computers. ("any" was just an iffy word to put)
Of course there isnt any RAM that can be compatible with all computers since there are different RAM types.