Is my card dead already?

99F

banned
I bought a 6800GT AGP today. As I was plugging a PCI card into the slot it scraped against the motherboard (the 6800 was already installed) and when I tried to turn it on it wouldn't do anything to the monitor. I'm using a 9600 now (AGP) and it works so I'd like to know if it's dead or what.

Just to let you guys know, I've tried:

Reseating the card 4 times
Using 3 different DVI-VGA adapters

So yeah.. Any help is appreciated.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm

Well I would attribute it to the card being dead prior to installation. From what I understand, you already had the card in the slot when it happened. If anything got destroyed by you touching the mobo it would have been the mobo itself. However, since you put another card in and it worked, I really think the card is dead (was dead).

JAN :D

Jack Bauer

banned
Well I would attribute it to the card being dead prior to installation. From what I understand, you already had the card in the slot when it happened. If anything got destroyed by you touching the mobo it would have been the mobo itself. However, since you put another card in and it worked, I really think the card is dead (was dead).

JAN :D

Yeah I think the card was DOA(dead on arrival) so you can contact the place you bought it from and RMA it and get a new one.

99F

banned
Well it hit some capacitor thing so I thought maybe I messed up some "graphics circuit" :D.

Electonics idiot