Is my case grounded?

brycematheson712

I built a new computer yesterday after recieving all the parts for Christmas (in sig). After putting it together, everything runs great! No glitches, nothing. It runs nice and fast...just like I like it!

Now, there's only one problem though. I'm worried that it's not grounded. I think this, because everytime I go to touch the case, or press the power button I get a nice little shock. EVERY time. Now, I'm VERY worried, because I know how bad Electro-static shock can be to computer components and I'd really like to fix it now. Is there anything that I forgot to do or that I did wrong?

Also, sometimes whenever I plug in a USB Flash Drive in the front or back as SOON as the metal connectors of the Flash Drive touch the connectors on the PC the computer monitor will go black and I have to reboot to get it to turn back on. It will sometimes do this with the front audio connectors too. It doesn't always do this, but I'm assuming it's another problem with the grounding issue.

Can anybody help? I'm nervous! Thanks.

Bronson7

How did you mount the motherboard? Your case may be grounded but not in a good way. You may have something shorting out to the case. Double check all your stand-offs, if used, (some cases have built in stand-offs). You definitely have a problem that needs addressing now before you do irreparable damage.
Bronson7

Last edited:

PabloTeK

That'll work. If a case was to short out the earth pin is connected to the metal work so it'll ground and take the current away. This is standard in non double-insulated appliances.

brycematheson712

It's not doing it anymore, and I don't know why and I sort of do and don't want to know at the same time. It only did it when I first turned it on this morning, but every other time that I've touched the case it hasn't done a single thing.

What's this 'earth pin' that you're talking about?