Is my computer infected?

ssal

I left the Toshiba laptop in sleep mode for a few days. I tried to use it today. Touch the keyboard to wake it up and entered my Windows password.

It got in but the internet was not connected. I confirmed that the internet was fine with other devices.

Then it just kept rebooting. Every time I logged in with my password, it said Windows was not started properly and would reboot in one minute.

Before I restore from an image, just want to confirm that it is indeed infected.

Anyone can suggest a fix?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's not infected, its a hardware issue. Never leave a machine in sleep mode, there are so many issues with it. My guess its either the HDD or something else. Try booting to safe mode with networking and try updating main drivers especially wireless.

ssal

I booted it and rebooted a few times. The problem seems to correct itself. Never even booted from safe mood.
Weird?

peter912

It's not infected, its a hardware issue. Never leave a machine in sleep mode, there are so many issues with it. My guess its either the HDD or something else. Try booting to safe mode with networking and try updating main drivers especially wireless.

What about putting the computer in sleep mode for a short while, such as one hour , is that bad also ? I heard that sleep mode was better for the computer than turning it off and on within a short time frame.

Agent Smith

No it's not. I have seeen lots of people across scores of computer forums who use sleep or hibernation mode only to have issues with it. One should always just shut down the machine.

peter912

No it's not. I have seeen lots of people across scores of computer forums who use sleep or hibernation mode only to have issues with it. One should always just shut down the machine.

but what about for a short period of time, one hour ? I would never leave it in sleep mode for anything longer than this but isn't it better in sleep mode than turning it off and on again in a short period of time ( less than one hour ) ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just set power plan to turn monitor off after say 10-15 minutes. It doesn't matter how long sleep mode is on, there are still issues with it. For most machines sleep mode causes problems with drivers for the hardware such as internet and video. Very few machines have any issues with sleep mode though. Its nature of the beast.

peter912

Just set power plan to turn monitor off after say 10-15 minutes. It doesn't matter how long sleep mode is on, there are still issues with it. For most machines sleep mode causes problems with drivers for the hardware such as internet and video. Very few machines have any issues with sleep mode though. Its nature of the beast.

This is confusing. First you say that "for most machines sleep mode causes problems" and then you say that "Very few machines have an issue with sleep mode"

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How is it confusing? For example, if "most" equals 90 percent of total machines and "very few" equals about 10 percent of total machines. Does it make sense now?

Darren

Staff member
How is it confusing? For example, if "most" equals 90 percent of total machines and "very few" equals about 10 percent of total machines. Does it make sense now?
Yeah what you said was two contradictory statements. Should be "very few machines don't have an issue with sleep mode."

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so I omitted a word, kill me. Actually typed that on my phone and probably why I accidentally omitted the word don't.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Ok, so I omitted a word, kill me.

Was hoping it wouldn't come to that but if you insist... :p

I assumed it was a typo but then you backed it up when it was pointed out so then I was just confused.

I agree though, sleep mode is wonky for me on my laptop. Causes issues, particularly because I don't use it more than a few times a week. On my desktop, both personal and at work, sleep mode doesn't give any issues.