Is my computer still good?

RJTamm93

I have it listed in my sig. I'm hoping that the processor is still decent as I want to upgrade from XP to 7 when it comes out and with that I would want to put an nVidia 285 GTX in it to make it a gaming beast but I know a bottle neck will screw that up. The power supply is up to the challenge I'm just worried about the processor more than anything. I've forgotten when I purchased this but I'm guessing 2007.

Thanks.

Ryan

Fatback

VIP Member
What kind of PSU do you have exactly and what is you budget for a new CPU Intel is pretty expensive at the moment for about $200 you can get a nice AMD Phenom II X3 720 and a motherboard which will destroy your current setup.

bomberboysk

Power supply wouldnt affect system performance, you do seem to have somewhat of an aging system, but the only real upgrades for something such as that would be either a video card or a motherboard and cpu. Just wondering, when you say a "decent 400w", what brand?

konsole

memory is fine for a while for gaming and general computer use. Bare minimum you should aim for the highest core 2 duo like the E8400 or E8500. Video card is most important with the latest games and you already have plans with that.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id see if you can pick up a used Quad on ebay...then upgrade to that 285 like mentioned...you should be fine then.

what speed is that ram? If its 800mhz your goo there too,anything slower i would upgrade.

Fatback

VIP Member
I would try to get a core 2 quad why you can if your motherboard supports it. A 400w PSU no matter what

brand is not going to power a GTX 285 the best I would go with a 400w PSU even one like Corsair would be

a ATI 4850, GTS 250 maybe a GTX 260. By the time you spend the money on a new CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM

you minds well just build you a new AMD system and sell your current one.

Last edited:

RJTamm93

I would try to get a core 2 quad why you can if your motherboard supports it. A 400w PSU no matter what brand is going to power a GTX 285 the best I would go with a 400w PSU even one like Corsair would be a ATI 4850, GTS 250 maybe a GTX 260. By the time you spend the money on a new CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM you minds well just build you a new AMD system and sell your current one.

You may want to proof read before you post because I only got half of what you've said.

I really don't plan to sell this computer as I tried to recently and it wouldn't even go for 250USD.

Before I'd upgrade anything else, I would upgrade the graphics card. Also upgrading can be done over time in a manageable manner. I don't have 1500 for a new custom built high end gaming PC thank you.

Fatback

VIP Member
You may want to proof read before you post because I only got half of what you've said.

I really don't plan to sell this computer as I tried to recently and it wouldn't even go for 250USD.

Weird because I can read it just fine and it makes perfect sense to me not only that but I do proof read everything not only that but Firefox has a build in spell checker so I know everything is spelled right maybe you read to fast or need to get closer to you monitor.

Yea your not going to sell it for much but say you are going to be putting what $500+ into the computer minds well just build a new one.

Maybe you can read it now

Last edited:

RJTamm93

Weird because I can read it just fine and it makes perfect sense to me not only that but I do proof read everything not only that but Firefox has a build in spell checker so I know everything is spelled right maybe you read to fast or need to get closer to you monitor.

Yea your not going to sell it for much but say you are going to be putting what $500+ into the computer minds well just build a new one.

Maybe you can read it now...

I would try to get a core 2 quad why you can if your motherboard supports it. A 400w PSU no matter what

brand is not going to power a GTX 285 the best I would go with a 400w PSU even one like Corsair would be

a ATI 4850, GTS 250 maybe a GTX 260. By the time you spend the money on a new CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM

you minds well just build you a new AMD system and sell your current one.
Maybe you read to fast? Highlighted some parts that are just a little to off for me to make out exactly what you are saying.

Fatback

VIP Member
Maybe you read to fast? Highlighted some parts that are just a little to off for me to make out exactly what you are saying.

Even after rereading it I still don't get what your talking about the only thing I did wrong is but why instead of while everything else is like it supposed to be maybe you can't read southern talk.

Let me help you

I would try to get a core 2 quad why(should be while) you can if your motherboard supports it. A 400w PSU no

matter what brand is not going to power a GTX 285 the best(meaning the best graphics card) I would go with a 400w

PSU even one like Corsair would be a ATI 4850, GTS 250 maybe a GTX 260
(makes perfect since). By the time you

spend the money on a new CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM you minds well(meaning should) just build you a new AMD system and sell your current one(again I see nothing wrong with it).

Last edited:

JakeUSMC

Just remember, building a computer is like building muscle

You need a good core to get good performance

I suggest replacing everything, except the optical drives and case....

with 1500 dollars you could buy a whole new computer that will stay competitive for gaming for the next year or so....

JakeUSMC

Even after rereading it I still don't get what your talking about the only thing I did wrong is but why instead of while everything else is like it supposed to be maybe you can't read southern talk.

there is plenty of grammatical error in that post. I had to re-read it to understand... I see what you're saying though... that a 400w psu will only power a 4850 to 260 at best

Fatback

VIP Member
there is plenty of grammatical error in that post. I had to re-read it to understand... I see what you're saying though... that a 400w psu will only power a 4850 to 260 at best

Well I don't think any body tries to use good grammar when they post on this forum I just try to get the point across and after 900+ post I have never had any body say they can't read what I post.