Is my new board dead already?

Recently, I upgraded my GPU from an HD 7770 to an HD 7970, and I noticed I was getting FPS drops in games. I figured the VRMs were overheating on my old board (ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2) so I got a new board. A Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Apart from the unrelated issue of a winows crash on startup, which was fixed by switching from AHCI to IDE to boot and install drivers, the only seemingly minor issue was that I could no longer get as many FPS on lower settings in CS:GO as I could before. I could get more on maxed settings, and I got 3X as many FPS on Furmark, so it was an issue I was sure i could get to the bottom of.
BUT: The next day, I tried to power my PC on, and nothing happened. The fans spin, but there is no HDD activity, no POST screen (I guess...I dunno cus i got no picture on my screen) no beeps from the little case speaker...nothing. just fans at low RPM. I tried resetting CMOS (though shorting the pins in the dark with a screwdriver was tricky and I dunno if I got them. I'll try again this afternoon using the jumper from my old board, if it fits) I tried swapping the RAM around, putting it in different slots, trying one stick at a time, in different slots. I replaced the GPU with my old one, and all that happened was that the fan's RPM would kind of pulse. I'd had that problem before, and it was a failed PSU, so I went and got a new one. (The old one was a 500watt, so was cutting it pretty close)
Anyway, I just installed the new PSU, and I'm getting the same thing. I only plugged in the drive with my operating system on.
I need to try clearing the CMOS properly, and I need to maybe try different RAM, though I don't have any spare, and it worked fine for a day.
But...it's looking like either the board just died after 1 day of use, or the CPU died after one day in a new board. Both of which seem kind of odd. I still have my old board, so i can put everything back on that to rule out the CPU and the RAM, but I'd prefer to check first, to see if there are any checks i can do without having to strip everything outta there.
Any ideas? Oh, the CPU is an FX 8350, cooler is a coolermaster hyper 212 evo, My OS is on a Samsung 840 SSD. The RAM...I dunno. It was Kingston, i remember that. And I know it's 2X4GB, but without going and looking, that's all I know.
Old PSU was a corsair CX500. New one is a CX600m, and second-hand cus I wasn't sure enough that it was the cause.
I think that's all the info. Any ideas?

Punk

Staff member
Since you changed your MB, are you sure your standoffs are correctly in place? I had a similar problem and it was because I had a screw that was kind not in a good place.

I'm not sure that's the case but it could also be another failing PSU, is there anyway you can try it on another computer?

mistersprinkles

My guess is that you didn't install the drivers for your new GPU and or uninstall drivers for the old one properly. Could also be a power problem.

I suggest you reinstall windows and do a clean install of everything with the latest drivers from the mfg websites. Should be fine.

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you installed the new board and didn't reinstall the OS. Should have before you took the old board out, uninstalled every driver related to the old board. Then install new drivers after it booted. Anyway you said you needed to clear the bios, did you? If not do so. Plus after you clear it, unplug the computer and push the power button a few times. Plug it back up and see if it will boot.

Agent Smith

Did you set your RAM timings correct in the profiles in BIOS? Can you log into Windows with Safe Mode?

Darren

Staff member
Did you set your RAM timings correct in the profiles in BIOS? Can you log into Windows with Safe Mode?
He's not even getting video display so none of this is helpful.

Did you hookup the PCI-E connectors? If you pull out all the RAM and try to power it on does it beep at you? Did it ever give you a succesful post beep when it worked the first time?

Either way you'll likely need to reinstall Windows, and with a board swap you may no longer have an activated copy.