Is my PSU dead?

a123

hello all.

recently, when I leave my computer on and go out, i come back and the computer's off. then, when i try to turn it on, the power button doesn't respond. So, I turn the power switch off on the psu, wait a bit, and turn it back on, and the computer would turn on.

Yesterday, i had the same problem, but this time when i get it to start, it wouldn't even make it to the desktop before it turns itself off and wouldn't turn back on.

there are no error messages and i've check the psu and the fan IS spinning.

Please help me out. thanks

PC eye

banned
One way to find out if the supply is toast since you saw a partial "recycling" of the supply would be first turning off the breaker switch, unplugging the ac cord, and then turning the breaker back on. Then you try to start the system up without the ac cord plugged back in to see the caps in the supply itself discharged by the pull for power generally seen during the post tests at startup.

Typically this would be a problem mainly seen with low end quality supplies rather then one seeing good regulation. The recycling of power is an old method of re-energixing the supply so it will work normally again provided it's not already on the way out. Test this first however to see if things return to normal.

Hugh9191

If that ^^^ doesn't work try another power supply, if thats not the problem its most likely the system board.

PC eye

banned
I would tend to look at the supply since the one there saw the partial recycle effect and then suddenly seems to run normal again?! A board problem wouldn't see any sudden recovery but would simply leave you stuck with nowhere to go unless the battery on it was weak.

a123

unfortunately, i don't have another psu to try with the system. PC eye, i tried your method and it has started up again. However, when it does boot up again, windows tells me i had an unexpected shut down and windows has problem starting up again and suggests that i repair it with the vista disc. When i try that, it starts up for a while... and then after a couple of hours, it would all of sudden turn off and the problem starts over again. I hope this is still pointing to a psu problem... and that start up problem is because of all the sudden shut downs.

So right now i'm guessing thats the problem and i'm looking at 2 different psu's to replace my current one... please let me know which one is the better one...

1. Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
2. OCZ StealthXStream 500W

Thanks for the help

PC eye

banned
Hard boots never help anything for sure! That explains the error messages coming up.

The shutdowns while in Windows could point to an overheating of something else as well as the supply itself. Cpu, video card, memory, even a hard drive running hot or starting to go. A weak battery like mentioned before can see sudden shutdowns or restarts usually unexpected restarts while in the middle of something.

A bad cap on the board is real trouble meaning a major swapout. You first want to find out the cause however unless you go for a supply you can use in a newer build later being a little larger then 400w.

Corsair and OCZ alike see great supplies if you find that to be the actual problem since a supply can see a weak cap or failing transformer being pulled down with any good load on it. The questions here would be the max price you would spend and where you would order a new one from?

logies

I think its better to show for some hardware engineer.Its not a major problem its minor ,don't worry about that any loose contact should be there check the connections once that could be better solution.

a123

hey. thanks for the help so far. I will try the battery before i buy a new psu.

as far as i know, the cpu runs cool, the video card is pretty new and the hard drive was installed just last month. I've felt these components with my hand and they felt like normal temperatures.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by a bad cap on the board, but i'm assuming you mean something's wrong with the motherboard. I'm always hoping thats not the case as it would probably mean a new system...

One other problem that i've had a few months ago is that it has rejected ram. I've always had 2x512mb of ram in my computer. then i added a stick of 1gb. it worked fine for about 4 months, then it started to crash constantly. When i realized the problem i removed the new ram and it worked fine. at first i thought the problem was the new ram, but i tried other rams in the system and the same thing happened. I've tried my new ram in another computer had it worked fine. I'm not sure if this would help the diagnosis.

as you probably noticed, my system is getting old. socket 939 so i don't really intend to spend too much money on it. I intend to spend <80$cdn and would prolly get it from www.canadacomputers.com

Once again, thanks for the help. this computer's been giving me a lot of problems lately.

PC eye

banned
Why I mentioned the possibility of a weak battery was from having one board that saw constant restarts as well as higher cpu temps even to the point were it appeared that the cpu took a nose dive! The high temp was corrected getting rid of the stock hsf while still the cpu was thought to have been cooked.

The surprise came when putting everything back in a year after pulling it apart to find the cpu ran like new! The Socket A board was the problem just loved eating those batteries! :p

The 939 that followed simply wouldn't start even blink drive or power leds once one day until I ran out for a new battery there after a year of use. Zzzooomm! It came to life. Those are only a few bucks compared to a need for a new board however.

a123

i really hope its that battery problem then. Fingers crossed. i would be so happy lol.

PC eye

banned
I hope it's that simple as well. I now make sure to have a few two packs of 2032 number Lithium batteries onhand since that's the usual number on many makes and models of boards.

By chance did you buy a case with the supply included or was that bought separately? If you buy a case with a supply included it's usually a low end piece of garbage tossed in.

If the supply is the problem a new one will be the thing you needed anyways! The board is certainly the last thing since you would likely end up wanting to upgrade everything else along with a newer board since prices have come down! You know the drill from there.

Hugh9191

as for the memory issue it is more likely to be the ram than the board. When you get the rest of your pc working put the dodgy ram in and run memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) and that will test your memory.

I think the main problem is more likely to be a psu issue than the battery as recycling bought it back up however for the price of a new battery it may be worth checking and will prob be worth having a spare anyway.

Last edited:

a123

yea. the psu came with the case so that might be the problem. Tho i always assumed that it would be a decent piece since it's made by antec, but i guess not.

Hugh9191, I've tested the ram with memtest more than once, and there were no problems found. I've switched out the ram and put in new ones and have tried different combination, but still no luck.

PC eye

banned
Which model Antec was that? The memory was far less likely simply by the description of the problems anyways. At least you can rule out any memory problems for the time being.

Everything still seems to point at the supply. If the system is a year or older having a spare battery or two onhand certainly won't hurt. Rayovac and Eveready see CR2032 while Duracell will see DL2032 for the 2032 batteries. But refer to the user manual or at least try matching the number seen on the battery itself to cross reference that.

a123

the antec is the 380w that came with the original sonata. something like 380s or something like that.

i just tried the battery and no luck. i guess i'll be buying a new psu.

PC eye

banned
Well at least you know there's a fresh battery on the board so that won't going any time soon on you. That was one of Antec's lower end models there.

What kind of price range are you looking to spend on a replacement? You can find some good deals on some 420w-500w supplies at this time.

StrangleHold

Staff member
hello all.

recently, when I leave my computer on and go out, i come back and the computer's off. then, when i try to turn it on, the power button doesn't respond. So, I turn the power switch off on the psu, wait a bit, and turn it back on, and the computer would turn on.

Yesterday, i had the same problem, but this time when i get it to start, it wouldn't even make it to the desktop before it turns itself off and wouldn't turn back on.

there are no error messages and i've check the psu and the fan IS spinning.

Please help me out. thanks

yea. the psu came with the case so that might be the problem. Tho i always assumed that it would be a decent piece since it's made by antec, but i guess not.

Hugh9191, I've tested the ram with memtest more than once, and there were no problems found. I've switched out the ram and put in new ones and have tried different combination, but still no luck.

the antec is the 380w that came with the original sonata. something like 380s or something like that.

i just tried the battery and no luck. i guess i'll be buying a new psu.

Instead of being pulled around till you start bleeding, post after post after post. Its not likley it was ever your battery, you would of had more symptoms than just restarting and not powering up.

A 9600GT has requirements of a minimum of 400W with 26 amps total on the 12V rail. yours is short on watts, plus it probable has nowhere near 26 amps. This is probably your problem.

Good deals and would be fine for your system.
40 bucks off - free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
25 bucks off - free shipping - 25 buck rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

smoothjk

Instead of being pulled around till you start bleeding, post after post after post. Its not likley it was ever your battery, you would of had more symptoms than just restarting and not powering up.

A 9600GT has requirements of a minimum of 400W with 26 amps total on the 12V rail. yours is short on watts, plus it probable has nowhere near 26 amps. This is probably your problem.

Good deals and would be fine for your system.
40 bucks off - free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
25 bucks off - free shipping - 25 buck rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Simple as that, really. Any PSU that comes with a case (unless it's a high-end, expensive case that costs almost $200) is usually crap. If the PSU was an Antec Earthwatts 380, it would be strong enough. If it's a random PSU fitted inside the case, it's most likely a "fake" 380 watts, with insufficient amps on the 12v line.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
It has the Antec 380S that came with the case. Not really the same as even the retail 380 True Power. The 380S that he has only has a total of 18 amps. Plus its total max. watts is only 360W

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
I guess so! That was likely a little too small for your build and simply let go on you. You should see some good deals for a new 420w-500w supply to pick from.