Is now the right time to buy a SSD?

Gareth

Hey all, I am wanting a 128GB SSD for my laptop, and I see that they're starting to become quite cheap, the model I want its only $450. I am wondering whether its a good time to buy an SSD or will they drop even more in price in the next couple of months?

2048Megabytes

Only $450, are you joking? That price is way too high for a Solid State Disk. Wait about 4 to 6 months. The price may be half of that by then. There may even be some great deals that come out in December before Christmas.

AUTOBOOT2000

No SSD will not be realistic until 4 more years. I would just buy a terabyte harddrive for a fraction of the price and use masking tape to tape it to the bottom of my laptop.

Klue22

the cheap SSD are really bad at performance, and the high performance ones require you to donate a kidney. just google it for tons of information. two velocirapters in raid 0 are faster than any ssd. And two 15k drives in raid 0 would make your SSD look like a floppy, of course this isnt practical for a laptop, although if you are a speed freak and dont care about battery usage, newegg does have some laptops with two 7200 rpm drives that are in raid 0