Is PSU dying or something else wrong ?

ravndal

hi guys ,
I've been a member of tomshardware for a good long time but ive not got the reply yet from my latest question there and have decided to hunt for a new forum to use as well. I will repost here the question I asked there ok with the responses to catch you guys up .
Thank you
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME:
Um hi guys
4 days ago I overclocked my i7 6700k successfully from 4 ghz to 4.5 .... Then I enabled XMP for my 32 gb 3000 MHz sticks ... today I turned on EVGA Precision X OC to commence overclocking on my gtx 1080 ti 11 GB Founders edition . I went to run a test in 3D mark without anything overclocked on my card yet and was noticing power to the card was going over 100% - %110 etc up and down . This had me baffled as I haven't overclocked anything yet right ? Anyway I did do a little gpu clock overclock and it worked ok but power was going over 100% easily still . Tried another bit higher . It failed and I restart the pc and ran 3D mark again with nothing overclocked . As soon as the stress test started a buzzing sound started from what seems to be coming from my PSU ? It seems to do this buzz when the test just loads and starts . I also tried 2 higher games and same thing . When game has loaded the buzz starts. Here is a clip so you can hear the buzz

http://tinypic.com/r/scyfqp/9

Is this my power supply dying guys ? Is the 750 watt to low after my overclocking and now the PSU is dying please help ?
Thanks

Corsair hx750 PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 6700K
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
Samsung 840 EVO Series 750GB SSD
ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift 27in 165Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Mid Tower Chassis Satin Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THERE REPLY:
I think the whine you're seeing is from the back of the GPU(from it's power delivery area) or from your motherboard or could be as you say, from the PSU. Can you isolate the source of the sound? The orientation of your video and the darkness is really hard to make out what's happening.
ME:
Ok I have started an elimination process and gathered some extra information including what you requested . To further validate it indeed is the PSU I unscrewed and removed the PSU from the tower for a quick test to confirm also making a better video for you .

http://tinypic.com/r/10wn039/9

Certainly this confirms that yes indeed the PSU is likely the cause ? I also now can confirm the PSU is the oldest piece of hardware in the case being purchased 06/10/12 making it around 5 years old ? The first build I built was then but a couple years ago I built a whole new pc using only the PSU from my first build . A note as well I leave my pc on 24 hrs a day . Gaming for 8 hrs a day/night and idle rest mostly .

So guys what do you think ?
Also can someone confirm that if it is the PSU is this the reason EVGA Precision X OC is saying power to my GPU is hitting over 100% even before any overclocking is done to the card ?
Thank you .. Adam .

Update edit : I should add that I went from 16 gb memory sticks to 32 gb 3000 MHz sticks just a couple weeks ago about ...

Sorry for the long post computer forum but I do hope one of you can confirm the PSU situation and gpu overclocking issue for me so I can progress with what needs to be done
Thanks guys ../

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since you have confirmed that it is the psu, then I would definitely get it replaced. 750 watts is more then enough to power that system, 600 watts minimum with no overclocking so 750 is plenty. That psu only has a 5 year warranty.

ravndal

Since you have confirmed that it is the psu, then I would definitely get it replaced. 750 watts is more then enough to power that system, 600 watts minimum with no overclocking so 750 is plenty. That psu only has a 5 year warranty.

Wow fast reply thanks
I'm actually planning on getting a second gtx 1080 very soon . Should I go higher then the 750 watts so I am ready for my sli ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are gonna go sli then get a 1000 watt psu. That will give you headroom for OC'ing.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Whichever is cheaper. The gold-platinum efficiency difference is like 1-2%. All the PSUs you list are great products.

ravndal

Thank you so much guys . I am liking this forum and the speed of replies . I think I have found a new home . If my pc is as fast as these replies then it will certainly be one of the best in the world again . Thanks heaps :)

Agent Smith

Since your GPU is EVGA, I've heard those cards and others were catching on fire. Something with voltage I think it was. They have since released a firmware update. You should head on over to EVGA's website and see if your GPU has a firmware update.