Is something like this really nessesary for a gaming PC?

PC eye

banned
The dual cpu like other multiple cpu boards all have one thing in mind. "Multitasking"! On a server board when one cpu gets loaded down the other one picks up the slack to keep a "server" like the one you are on now running and free from being bogged down. Now imagine how much data is posted on the forum here and picture why 32gb of memory would have a need. A server board is in far different reality then one you would buy for a gaming build!

Motokid250r

So...what would you need one for? how much programs could one possibly have open at one time to where he/she needs 32 gigs of ram and dual cpus?

Bobo

banned
So...what would you need one for? how much programs could one possibly have open at one time to where he/she needs 32 gigs of ram and dual cpus?
Programs and tasks that servers do. Get that? Servers. Not gaming computers. Servers.

Servers

Servers

;)

PC eye

banned
This forum? i have 1.50 gigs of ram and i dont get bogged down on this forum. Do you mean running the forum?

Running A forum as well as a "network" seen in just about every corporation. A server is what connects one system to another whether on an internal or external "network". In fact you go to a multiplayer gaming site where there are "servers" running. With only 512mb of ram you still wouldn't get bogged down logging on to the "servers" here.

PC eye

banned
dude, i don't mean to rip on you, but you couldn't WRITE a funnier response :)

sorry man

Don't feel bad. I had to hold it back myself when seeing that one! :p I could dig out an old IBM 386 that wouldn't even see that bog down any with 16mb of ram. The old 14.4k modem would be the thing that would be... ssssslowww there.

XFs

From my gaming experience, a fast video card with good amount of video RAM is much better than a fast CPU or motherboard.

I built a gaming PC with:
$70 motherboard
$90 CPU
$200 video card

PC eye

banned
From my gaming experience, a fast video card with good amount of video RAM is much better than a fast CPU or motherboard.

I built a gaming PC with:
$70 motherboard
$90 CPU
$200 video card

You mean someone is finally starting to make sense and not claiming bragging rights on Intel C2s?! A better video card would go well with the AMD64 3500+ single core model cpu here along with 2gb of ram. But I would be more likely to use a board closer to a server board for reasons other then having a gaming build.

The Opteron 185 and FX-60 Socket 939 model cpus are still way too high at this for maxing the case out here however. Building a work horse for multitasking would see that setup. The quad core cpus coming soon will certainly replace a few double dual core cpu type server boards for sure. Of course you could end up with twin quad core models being seen.

mrbagrat

banned
Im going to build a gaming PC and i was looking at boards and came across this and my jaw just...DROPPED, but its toomuch money and is just OVERKILL

http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-s5000...1-socket/q/loc/101/202787997.html?dcaid=17379

I dont plan on getting it nor do i plan on getting 2 cpu's. i just happen to come across it. Its a Server-board? what exacly is a server board and what would you need 2 cpu's and 32 gigs of ram for?!

You think thats overkill? There are server boards with room for 8 CPUs and 128 gb of RAM. I don't even have that much hard drive space.

Granted, you could try to use a server board on a gaming rig. But the power requirements would be immense, and as you said, overkill overall.

PC eye

banned
Some of the newer atx boards for desktops max at 16gb of ram with just the single cpu. Even that amount is overkill to run any game out. A good build with a pair of 1gb dimms maybe four should last for years at this point. The only application for that amount would be in graphics design or some large engineering programs where memory is demanded.

K3rupt

aww poor fellas probally crying.. heheh dont feel bad, im still using dial up as BROADBANDS not AVALIBLE... Grrrr stupid telstra cheap skates... lol. N satillite is gay for gaming, and wireless is 60metres away from our house... lool

PC eye

banned
aww poor fellas probally crying.. heheh dont feel bad, im still using dial up as BROADBANDS not AVALIBLE... Grrrr stupid telstra cheap skates... lol. N satillite is gay for gaming, and wireless is 60metres away from our house... lool

Well that sounds like you are having a load of... ? fun there regardless. :p

H_L

Server motherboards aren’t designed for heavy gamming there designed to process a lot of information (read/right) and broadcast the necessary data in a network..

PC eye

banned
For the Socket 939 board here the toss up on going with the Opteron 185 or FX 60 dual core models is still "in the air" for the mostly work horse build here. While some have a server board in their case along with the Socket 940 model cpu they run those are a lot closer to the average desktop with the 4gb of ram max and single dual core cpu on those.