Is SSD a good choice for my Asus Notebook?

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hello,

I have recently bought an Asus Notebook (N550JV) with the following specs

15.6-inch 1920x1080 (no touchscreen); 2.6kg; Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.4GHZ Processor (4th generation); 8GB RAM; 1TB 5,400rpm Hard drive; DVD RW Drive; GeForce 750M 4GB Graphics

I am extremely dissatisfied with its performance and it is not a cheap machine! It lags like an ancient IBM machine when copying file....

My initial thought is that it's because of the 5400 RPM HDD..... So what are my options? Am I going to lose the 1 TB HDD if I replace it with SSD? And which SSD is best for this machine?

Thanks
Shady

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Shady, glad to see you are back from the dead. The only way to do add another drive would be to get rid of the dvd drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MRiHuGF_E

Unless you don't need all that much storage then just get a decent sized SSD but an SSD should help a lot in performance. Also have you tried doing a disk diagnostic on the drive to make sure its not failing? What brand of drive is in it?

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thanks John, That was helpful.

I haven't tried doing a disk diagnostic, which tool would you recommend.

Glad to be back, but now I sound like a noob, I used to laugh at people like this back in the day :) What goes around comes around :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The program used depends on the brand of hdd you have. Each manufacturer has their own program to use.