Is the I/O Shield Important?

Flaring Afro

I got a zotac motherboard and its I/O shield wont line up with the board in an old HP case. I'm sure its more the fault of this case than zotac, but do i NEED one? I dont care how it looks, it wont be seen i'm just worried about dust, though i assume a case fan would suck dust everywhere anyways? I just dont want to have to fab something up if not needed, thanks.

Bodaggit23

Can you mod the case to make it fit?

You can run without it, but it supports the rear of the board from flex and shorting.

bomberboysk

Did you read my whole sentence? :rolleyes:

It's a thin piece of steel because it only needs lateral support.
Yeah, and you mentioned absolutely nothing about grounding. I know a few people who work for EVGA and i asked them about this same question awhile back, and its for grounding purposes and looks, not support.

Laquer Head

Yeah, and you mentioned absolutely nothing about grounding. I know a few people who work for EVGA and i asked them about this same question awhile back, and its for grounding purposes and looks, not support.

Technically he did, by mentioning preventing 'shorting'..

bomberboysk

prevent shorting by grounding..?
Shorts are caused because of a ground touching a live source of power, therefore if anything providing a ground could cause shorting. A short literally means that, a shorter and easier path for electricity to flow, basically the more "lazy" electricity can be it will.

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Shorts are caused because of a ground touching a live source of power, therefore if anything providing a ground could cause shorting. A short literally means that, a shorter and easier path for electricity to flow, basically the more "lazy" electricity can be it will.

:confused:

TFT

VIP Member
You can run without it, but it supports the rear of the board from flex and shorting.

Why are certain people being so "picky" (on the above quote) lately. When you post now you've got to go back over it and "cross the T's and dot the I's), you just can't afford to not be grammatically correct in your answer anymore otherwise you get jumped on and pulled to pieces. :confused:

Hell, if something flexes enough and a connector that has a potential above ground shorts then "bang". End of story.:good:

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Why are certain people being so "picky" lately. When you post now you've got to go back over it and "cross the T's and dot the I's), you just can't afford to not be grammatically correct in your answer anymore otherwise you get jumped on and pulled to pieces. :confused:

Hell, if something flexes enough and a connector that has a potential above ground shorts then "bang". End of story.:good:

There are a number of people on this forum that know everything..thats why!:rolleyes:

bomberboysk

Why are certain people being so "picky" (on the above quote) lately. When you post now you've got to go back over it and "cross the T's and dot the I's), you just can't afford to not be grammatically correct in your answer anymore otherwise you get jumped on and pulled to pieces. :confused:

Honestly there is no way that quote can be interpreted as correct, again, i even asked a motherboard manufacturer(evga) about this about a year ago and was given a specific answer, to act as a ground and for visual appearance.

Flaring Afro

...Well, I had assumed at worst it was for dust and i could fab some ugly son of a gun on the outside of the case around the usb ports (i dont need any of the other ports). I already installed everything and am installing windows right now... Brilliant.

EDIT: also the mobo was .5" too high which is why i figured it wasnt worth the trouble, it def wasnt modifiable.

bomberboysk

...Well, I had assumed at worst it was for dust and i could fab some ugly son of a gun on the outside of the case around the usb ports (i dont need any of the other ports). I already installed everything and am installing windows right now... Brilliant.

EDIT: also the mobo was .5" too high which is why i figured it wasnt worth the trouble, it def wasnt modifiable.
Its not 100% required, ive ran systems without i/o plates fine as well as ran motherboards without a case or io shield or whatnot, dont lose any sleep over it:p

Flaring Afro

good. this is my first build and its awesome that it works and i really didnt want to take everything out and somehow put it in lol