Is the IT Field "Dying"

Kewicase

I created a thread earlier not about this discussion but entering the field, and now my discussion with friends are being told that the IT field is "dying" and how everything is being automated in the computers. How should I go about this because am just now entering the field, am I screwed? Are programmers the only one that will be alive since everything will be automated? which skill should I focus on?
thanks

Darren

Staff member
I created a thread earlier not about this discussion but entering the field, and now my discussion with friends are being told that the IT field is "dying" and how everything is being automated in the computers. How should I go about this because am just now entering the field, am I screwed? Are programmers the only one that will be alive since everything will be automated? which skill should I focus on?
thanks
If your job is focused on the technology sector and you're capable of adapting to the inevitable change in that sector I don't think you'll ever have an issue finding employment.

What are your friends and their qualifications? Not saying they're misinformed or wrong but there's a difference between some high school kids that read stuff online and somebody that's in the field. Not saying I'm an expert by any means as I'm hardly older than you and just getting into it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The IT field is far from dying. There's just a lot of changes in how things are being done. Some examples:

-Companies are hiring Managed Service Providers (MSP's) to maintain and support their infrastructure and end users
-Companies are shifting from having an internal infrastructure to something like DaaS (Desktop as a Service - ex: Remote desktop infrastructures hosted on servers owned and maintained by a third party) and SaaS (Software as a Service - Office 365, G-Apps, etc.)
-Moves to the cloud are more common (Amazon EC2 computing, MS Azure, etc.)

So as far as internal infrastructure goes, things are definitely changing.

Networking is pretty steady and will remain so. You still need some kind of internal network to bridge all your computers together and get out to the internet.

In the end it all depends on what specifically you want to focus on.

novicegeek

Here's my opinion. If you're interested in networking, security, and such, I think you'll be able to find a job. If you want to open up your own business building and repairing computers... well, you'd better do that as a hobby, cause it won't pay any bills.

Jamie K Jukes

I think the issue is although we might be all Qual'd up with our CISCO quals or Microsoft Quals, a lot of companies do prefer to have a stupid amount of experience, I swear to god I went to an interview once and they wanted 5 years experience with Office Professional 2016, I advised the poor bloke to think about it really slowly and he didn't half feel dumb and I returned back to my normal job of analytics.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of call centre work in regards to IT, it might be horrifying pay but if you need the experience, its a good place to start.

Geoff

VIP Member
The IT field is growing, not dying. What is dying is the computer repair business, which many people in middle school and high school think "IT" means. There is an ever increasing need for IT workers in the security, networking, programming, and other related fields.

Darren

Staff member
The IT field is growing, not dying. What is dying is the computer repair business, which many people in middle school and high school think "IT" means. There is an ever increasing need for IT workers in the security, networking, programming, and other related fields.
As someone in the repair business...

Yup. These kind of jobs should serve little more than a stepping stone into the field rather than an endpoint. Hardly make much more above minimum wage. Thankfully my boss realizes this and reminds me to focus on school so I can get out of here lol.