Is there a good to leave a computer on all the time?

Scubie67

I read that some people leave there computer on 24/7.Is there some advantage to this? I usuallly turn mine off when I am not using it and at bedtime.I figure it uses less electricity and the parts last longer.Sorry if this seems like a stupid question just curious why people do it.

*edit - Title should read "Is there a good reason to leave a computer on all the time?

Last edited:

Gogey

Just to have processes running most of the time, or to have on demand use when you desire it, instead of waiting for the startup.

nffc10

Just to have processes running most of the time, or to have on demand use when you desire it, instead of waiting for the startup.

So you would waste X amount of money on electricity just so you don't have to watch the Windows logon screen!!

I always turn mine off when i'm not using it, i also make sure it's turned off at the wall. In the long run it will save a lot of electricity and in return £££.;)

jbrown456

I honestly just don't care about mine, whatever it does, it works for me. lol

It ususally goes into sleep mode after a few hours, unless im downloading somthing or burning somthing ext... It works well for me.

I don't think that leaving it on all the time is the best thing for it, it would probabally be hard on parts over time. But constantly turning it on and off probabally wouldn't be the best either.

Just turning it off at night should save quite a bit of money on electricity.

bigbird

I honestly just don't care about mine, whatever it does, it works for me. lol

It ususally goes into sleep mode after a few hours, unless im downloading somthing or burning somthing ext... It works well for me.

I don't think that leaving it on all the time is the best thing for it, it would probabally be hard on parts over time. But constantly turning it on and off probabally wouldn't be the best either.

Just turning it off at night should save quite a bit of money on electricity.
I leave mine on 24/7 for convenience, however I should turn mine off to save the money on power!

fortyways

banned
My jackass neighbor leaves his on 24/7 in order to "actually save electricity dude." Same with his tube TV. I hate him.

I guess there are a lot of stupid people who believe in this concept.

The only good reason to leave it on that nobody's mentioned is that it puts strain on parts every time you turn your computer on. Something about electricity being etched into this or that.

codeman0013

I tested one month and my power bill went down a whole 50 cents for leaving my pc off as opposed to on so i just leave mine on its not really worth the wait for 50 cents a month and more wear and tear on a pc to start up and shut down all the time..

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I just leave mine off unless I need it. Sometimes I turn it on and just let it sit and never end up using it and just turn it off.

The family computer stays on all day simply for convenience. Otherwise, it's off at night.

speedyink

VIP Member
Mines on during the day, off during the night. Unless I'm not here all day, then it's off during the day too.

dougland

If you leave it on, you save from parts heatin up/cooling off, but you waste electricity as well as its not good for the environment. also the HDD wears quicker this way as it is moving more.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Mine has been on for the past 3 months every day 24/7 and my electric bill has barely increased (if any). I turn the screen off at night, but thats about it. I dont see any real reason to turn it off at night, seems silly.

dougland

Mine has been on for the past 3 months every day 24/7 and my electric bill has barely increased (if any). I turn the screen off at night, but thats about it. I dont see any real reason to turn it off at night, seems silly.

Well turning it off A: cuts down on environmental havoc B: saves your HDD C: saves fans (since the HDD and fans have limited life/hour based)

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Older components will see money saved by turning off at night. Newer components/technology require less power, and as such, if you look to your electric bill as the deciding factor, will see very little, if any, improvement.

Shutting Windows down every so often will actually speed it up. Shutting down = RAM purge = quicker system. Granted, startup will take a few seconds longer, but does that really matter?

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. I myself shut down each night, but rarely have need for my system '911 OMG v3ry 1st thing in the morning' when I get up.

Scubie67

Thx for the replies.I see it somewhat mixed opinions though.Does it use that much electricity to boot up compared to how much it uses being left off for 8 hours or more?If you have a lets say a 500 watt PSu and it uses ,hypothetically 100 watts to stay in idle woulnt that still be more than having the system completely off for those hours? I am just a learning about computers but most everything else in the world needs a rest,your body needs sleep for instance.

thorpef1

i just leave mine on all the time unless im out of the house for a day or more.
its downloading in the night n im using it in the day