Is there a infrared night vision webcam that is compatible with Windows 8.1?

RudyL90

Hi there,

I am searching for a infrared night vision webcam, preferably with an in-built microphone, that is compatible with Windows 8.1.
The purpose of the webcam is to record my movements and sounds during sleep.
It would be nice if there was a program that can set the frame rate of the webcam of for instance 1 fps, more is not necessary.

On the internet I read about building one yourself, by simply removing the IR filter from an old webcam. Those old webcams are unfortunately not compatible with Windows 8.1. And I am not eager to open a new webcam, as new webcams are often more expensive. Furthermore, you have to create a good IR light source.

Does anyone know a suitable webcam? As a poor student, I like to not pay too much.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
Rudy

Agent Smith

I'm pretty sure any webcam would work with Windows 8.

ebay has some, but a lot are from China and when I have ordered from China sometimes it took a month for delivery. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=infrared+webcam&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=75217&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_fsradio2=%26LH_LocatedIn%3D1&_salic=1&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Another option is just look on ebay for a JVC digital camcorder. JVC seems to include a time lapse option in all their models. They have done this since VHS-C. Shouldn't set you back as much as maybe $60. But its not infra red.

Black and white CCD cameras see IR and you can connect that to a video input PCI card on the computer with software. CCD cameras can be found for next to nothing on ebay as well. I have one the size of a quarter.