Is there a touch screen that can differentiate between a hand and a stylus?

bamhm182

I might be looking into buying a tablet PC in a while, and the major deciding factor in which one I'll be getting depends on that question?

I'd primarily be using the PC for drawing, and it'd be a LOT easier to draw if my hand isn't interfering with the screen and drawing things that I don't want to be there, so my question is, have they made a touch screen that can you can switch between stylus and hand modes? The hand mode would be good because it'd be nice to only have to use the stylus when I need to.

If there is, could you give me an example so I can see about how much the laptop would cost? Thanks.

EDIT: After typing all this, I thought of something, if I were to get one that registers fingers touching it, I could get some gloves that are thin enough to be comfortable, but thick enough that it doesn't register my hand, than get one of those stylus that mimics being touched by a finger, and just use that whenever I'm drawing.

I'm still interested in input anyone has though.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
A screen detects a pen stylus and your hand via two completely different systems. The stylus is detected by a active digitizer, where you can hover a pen above the screen and it'll be picked up. Your finger is detected via the passive digitizer, where you either have to apply pressure (for resistive touchscreens), or just put your finger on the screen (for capacitive touchscreens).

Most tablets turns off the passive digitizer once it detects a pen near or on the screen. This way your hand would not interfere with the pen when you're drawing in photoshop or whatever.

bamhm182

So it sounds like you're saying any tablet PC would do this? If so, awesome, that'd make it a lot easier to decide which tablet PC I should get.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Some tablets do it better than others. I believe what you're describing is called vectoring. My convertible tablet, Dell Latitude XT avoids this problem almost all together. You'll have to do some research for each individual tablet PC you're looking at.