Is There A Way?

Christian Darrall

At the moment we have 4 computers in our house, one in my sisters room, one in my dads room and one in mine. we also have a linux server in the loft. We use a TCP IP.

Getting down to the problem.

I want to share both my Hard Drives,

Is there something that i can do on my win2000 desktop PC to share it with the two XP PC's.

If possible i would like to make it Veiwable on their "My Computer" folder.

Thanx for looking and any replies will be appreciated.

SC7

Once you configure sharing via windows 2000, in the Xp Systems, go to my computer, get the icon in the toolbar that looks like a PC with a little round symbol at the top of it. Click that, select the folder or drive which is shared, and assign it a specific letter on the system viewing it. It will be mounted as a network drive and can now be treated like so, (wheter writing is permitted or not). It will show up in my computer as a drive with the spitter running out of it, and it will have a letter and the name of the folder.

EDIT: Here is the button, next to it's disconnector icon. If you don't have it, right click in that area, click customize, and then select it and move it over so it's on the toolbar.

Pic:

Last edited:

Christian Darrall

im upgrading my os to make things easier, and 200 is not a personal favourite of mine, plug its not as good with games,

Another question,

lets say my dad has a way better setup than me and i want to play a game on it without installing etc,

can i go to the games directory on my shared drive and play it from there?

sniperchang

You could, but depending on your network speed, the game could lag like crazy, so it wouldn't be all that much of an advantage.

EDIT: Comparing with a 7200rpm hard drive (around 50MB/s), a network speed(100MB/s or 1000MB/s) is actually faster. So mabe it won't be as bad as I thought.

Last edited:

SC7

sniperchang said:
You could, but depending on your network speed, the game could lag like crazy, so it wouldn't be all that much of an advantage.

EDIT: Comparing with a 7200rpm hard drive (around 50MB/s), a network speed(100MB/s or 1000MB/s) is actually faster. So mabe it won't be as bad as I thought.
It'll still be only as fast as it's slowest component. Plus, over the network, regardless, there'll be somewhat of a bottleneck, it truely won't transfer at 100 Mbps. So in regard to his comment, in theory, it should be fine, but for those of us who've launched foreign apps over networks, we know it won't perform that well. It probably won't run, you can't just run the exe, it'll need files installed on the machine running the game to play, most of the files will still need to be on the local machine disk, so I don't even think you can play it that way in the first place.

Christian Darrall

ok kool, it was a question that was bugging me, so i upgraded to XP now i managed to network the hard disk, but it doesn't come up in the other PCs my computer,

SC7

Christian Darrall said:
ok kool, it was a question that was bugging me, so i upgraded to XP now i managed to network the hard disk, but it doesn't come up in the other PCs my computer,
You have to mount it as a network drive, see my above post.

Motoxrdude

GO to My Network folder. Find the computer that has the drive, double click on it, find the drive, right click on it, and select |Map network drive|. It should tghen be under My Computer.