Is there such a thing as a "Free" thing on internet?

Viral

Okay this will sound redundant but... I've seen sooooo many sites claiming to give away free stuff like ipods, computers, iphones(newest ones), wii u, xbox360s etc. etc. etc.

Now here I want to point out one thing and one thing alone. I did try a site called "ebates" which is a rebates site. Now they said they would send me a 10dollar giftcard and I actually got it. I could even try to photograph the letter with the card(used the card already though).

Now my question is. I kinda wanted to try this stuff out on this computer because it's like ancient so if it breaks I don't really care much. I doubt anyone would buy this piece of junk now anyways. So I just wanted to actually test out some sites that claim to give free money. A lot of them you have to take surveys and on the lowest scale would earn cents/quarters per survey. Others you could earn anywhere from 1-20 bucks and one that sounds unrealistic is a 75dollar survey.

I kinda wanted to try my luck at sites saying they'll give a new hdmi flatscreen tv(cause I do need one lolol), and the ones claiming to give video game consoles.

I'm currently using firefox with an "add-on" called "NoScript" which I must say it's working marvelously! I even tested the app out on "not-so-decent" sites(if you get what I mean), and on sites that I know a 100% like to screw me over with a spam load of pop-ups/unders.

I'm also using this old computer to get a feel for sites. I may keep it in the end just to test sites out for the new computer to see which are "okay" to use. I plan on using anti-virus/malware/spyware/etc and the "NoScript" thingy. So I could be 99% safe from web-attacks.

Sorry about mixing two subjects on one topic. I just didn't want to overload the forum and have someone get mad at me. X____X;;;;

Would be happy to get answers from everyone(especially "super computer geeks")

Geoff

VIP Member
I would be more concerned about companies using information you provide, such as your e-mail, phone number, and mailing address, than the sites installing malware on your computer. From my limited reading up on these types of sites, they make you take TONS of surveys and/or sign up for things using your credit card (although you can cancel within the trial period).

Viral

I would be more concerned about companies using information you provide, such as your e-mail, phone number, and mailing address, than the sites installing malware on your computer. From my limited reading up on these types of sites, they make you take TONS of surveys and/or sign up for things using your credit card (although you can cancel within the trial period).

What can they do with that? Like what harm will come out of it for anything that you put in that -isn't- either credit card, or social security? Just curious and is there such a place where one can win free stuff?

Geoff

VIP Member
What can they do with that? Like what harm will come out of it for anything that you put in that -isn't- either credit card, or social security? Just curious and is there such a place where one can win free stuff?
It depends how much spam you want. I've done one or two of those in the past and ever since I get tons of e-mail and mailed pieces of spam. What worries me more is using my credit card to sign up for a bunch of trials, as either they will charge things to my card I didn't authorize, put up a fight when I want to cancel, or their systems will get hacked and they will find my credit card number. Also, as you sign up for more and more things it's harder to remember all the trials you have to cancel.

If you want something, get a real job, and buy things. There is no such thing as free stuff. If it takes you 4 hours to get a $5 gift card, then your time is not very valuable to you.

Viral

It depends how much spam you want. I've done one or two of those in the past and ever since I get tons of e-mail and mailed pieces of spam. What worries me more is using my credit card to sign up for a bunch of trials, as either they will charge things to my card I didn't authorize, put up a fight when I want to cancel, or their systems will get hacked and they will find my credit card number. Also, as you sign up for more and more things it's harder to remember all the trials you have to cancel.

If you want something, get a real job, and buy things. There is no such thing as free stuff. If it takes you 4 hours to get a $5 gift card, then your time is not very valuable to you.
LOL ouch! I do have a job though. Just wondered, that's all. I mean hey if there's a "possibility" to get something out of nothing with minimal effort then why not do it? Plus I wouldn't do a survey for more than 10mins.

GaryCantley

LOL ouch! I do have a job though. Just wondered, that's all. I mean hey if there's a "possibility" to get something out of nothing with minimal effort then why not do it? Plus I wouldn't do a survey for more than 10mins.

There's not. If there were do you think we would be replying to your silly messages rather than winning the latest 99" HDMI 3DTV that even makes the coffee for me?

Viral

There's not. If there were do you think we would be replying to your silly messages rather than winning the latest 99" HDMI 3DTV that even makes the coffee for me?

Not trying to start something. I'm really not, but you ever heard of the term "there are no stupid questions"? I'm trying to get educated on this; that's about it. Of course I feel it's unsafe, but for the sake of knowing I asked. That's all there is to it. But thank you very much for at least answering my questions. :)

turbodiesel

The "Win a Ipad sites" or whatever s*** they advertise probabally wont send you a virus or malware. they just sell your credit card infomation online to people so they can earn money and occasionally fork out a prize, therefor it is not worth doing.

swchoi89

Best to avoid any kind of "Free offers" with exception to when you're actually buying legit items like Glasses, and you get second pair for free, or something.

In life, hope you realize already, that the amount of reward you obtain, whether tangible or intangible, is in equal proportion to the amount of effort you put in. And I do think it works well for almost all cases (except lottery I guess). So, putting very little effort into this "sign up for free iPad", violates what I just said and I just ignore it :)

tremmor

Never received anything free. Do get discounts and look. Buy one an one free or 50% off. Its all about local restaurants for example. Coupons for shopping local also.
For the record. You can give out to much information over period of time. Sharing to much can and does happen. Could be your nightmare in the long run.

novicegeek

Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it. If someone is offerings something for free, you have to ask yourself, "What is their angle?" I mean, unless some person or entity has decided to make giving things away and making people happy their life's work (which I doubt), then there's a catch somewhere. Just because you don't immediately see it means they're good at what they do. But even if it's free, someone is paying for it. You have to be asking yourself, "What does the paying party want?" Because I can guarantee you that, in an economy that is based on money, they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their heart.