Is this a decent build for the price?

alexrezniz

New Member
My friends old Mac (the old colored one that looks kinda like an egg) just broke and they weren't gonna buy a new computer but they realized they really need one. They didn't want to spend a lot but were gonna get an iMac for like $12-1500 (which is really expensive for them)and I said I would sell them my old comp for around $800-$1000 (already did some research and it sounds like a good selling price) but they have never used a PC and know nothing about computers and are skepticle. Hopefully they will buy mine.

Anways, with the money I plan on building this:

CPU: Intel Q6600 (currently use an e4400)- $190

MOBO: ASRock P45R2000-WiFi LGA 775 Intel P45 - $140

HDD: Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM 320 GB (Perpendicular recording technology) - $70

RAM: Wintec AMPX 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066(currently have 4gb ddr2 667)- $55

Graphics Card: Visiontek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512mb (I am curenttly using an 8800gt)- $285

DVD: LG 22x DVD burner with lightscribe - $28

Case: Coolermaster RC-690-KKA1-GP w/550watt power supply - $100

OS: Windows Home Premium 32bit (I currently have the 64bit version, and I don't like 64bit, a lot of things i use/have have problems with it)- $100


Is this good for the price?? I was thinking about $1000 max and this is $970. Everything from Newegg. I play video games quite frequently (FPS's and RTS's) and I use it for homework. It needs to last the next couple years. The cheaper the better though!!! I can always switch out the 8800gt with an 8600gt I have and just buy another 8800gt to save like $180, but how does two 8800gt's compare to one 4870?? And is Vista Ultimate worth the extra $100 over premium??

If there is anything I could maybe get "worse" of to save money but thats still good, than its cool with me.
 
That all looks good, just make sure the PSU that comes with that case is decent. And BTW you can get a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD for 79.99, just a thought.
 
If I dropped the q6600 and got an e7200 to save some cash, would it still be fine for what I do?? I know it's better than what I have now. The games I play are Bioshock, orange box, crysis, gears of war, Sins of A Solar Empire. (and soon fallout 3, farcry 2, spore, Dead space maybe, etc.) Oh yeah, and until i get a new monitor, i'm using a 15" CRT so the resolution shouldn't slow anything down depending on what i choose it to be.
 
If you dropped from the q6600 to the e7200, yes you could still do what you want to do. Many people play crysis on 2 cores, like me. HD2600XT 256 MB GDDR4 owns =]

And, Well... this is my opinon, you don't have to get with it. What I think is, many ASrock boards come DOA, I once oreded 3 m-atx wifi boards 2 of them came DOA. So if I were you I would try to avoid ASrock, but its your choice, you can go with them if you want to.

Oh and if you want to save some $$$ go with the HD 4850 its like 100$ less
 
Last edited:
sweet, thanks MMezna! I was only looking at that board cause it uses DDR2 or DDR3 RAM, so if I ever wanted DDR3 I wouldn't have to buy a whole new motherboard. Yeah, but would one 4850 be better than two 8800gts? I already have one 8800gt, so the cheapest thing would probably be to buy another one of those, if it's worth it. I play crysis right now with just an e4400, and I can play on all high settings, with some very high, perfectly fine for my needs. I dont' need 60 FPS, 30 works fine. But more would be preferable.
 
Getting the E8400 is almost the same price as the Q6600 and defeats the purpose of switching that to save money. And isn't quad core better than core 2 duo in some cases? If i'm gonna spend the $180ish i think i might rather go quad.

But, what would be the advantages of the E8400 over either of those?? Besides the obvious faster clock speed.
 
The E8400 will chew up Crysis, spit it out, and piss on its grave. You don't need to spend money on a hotter, slower-clocked quad.

DDR2-1066 will suit you just fine as well.

SATA RAID is yummy.
 
Then I guess the E8400 it is! But even if I got the Q6600 and overclocked it, would it perform better than the E8400?

And for the guy who said to get a differen't case and PSU, I think I will just wait on the 4870 and just keep my 8800gt for now, maybe get the 4870 or another 8800 later (if I get a mobo with sli). It will help save money. Actually, maybe with that saved money from the graphics card I can just buy a better CPU or something.
 
Back
Top