Is this a good build?

FinalSlam

Okay, now I want to play CoD4 on my computer. Is this a good build?

4hwiop.jpg

Last edited:

spottydog

Hi FinalSlam.

I take it that you are trying to keep the cost as low as possible?
Personally, I would use a Core 2 Duo. Maybe a E7500 to keep down the cost.
Do you really mean SDRAM or DDR2/3?
If it's SDRAM it's a really old Motherboard, and you should be using DDR2 if not DDR3.
Never heard of Jetway, stick with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards.
Do you nee a wireless N adaptor?
Unless your router/adsl modem uses N then stick with b/g.

Regards
Iain

PhantomSixes

Hi FinalSlam.

I take it that you are trying to keep the cost as low as possible?
Personally, I would use a Core 2 Duo. Maybe a E7500 to keep down the cost.
Do you really mean SDRAM or DDR2/3?
If it's SDRAM it's a really old Motherboard, and you should be using DDR2 if not DDR3.
Never heard of Jetway, stick with Gigabyte or Asus motherboards.
Do you nee a wireless N adaptor?
Unless your router/adsl modem uses N then stick with b/g.

Regards
Iain

How would he be keeping the cost down by going from a 70 dollar processor to one over 100? He'd then also need to change the mobo. Jetway is a good mobo producer, I own a few. Not as reliable but good on the cheap. Go with linksys on the PCI adapter.

I think you're config looks good. I can play CS on my old P3 so you shouldn't have any troubles.

FinalSlam

How would he be keeping the cost down by going from a 70 dollar processor to one over 100? He'd then also need to change the mobo. Jetway is a good mobo producer, I own a few. Not as reliable but good on the cheap. Go with linksys on the PCI adapter.

I think you're config looks good. I can play CS on my old P3 so you shouldn't have any troubles.

I could upgrade my CPU to the AMD Athlon II X2 245 Dual Core Processor- 2.9 GHz. Its just $3-$4 more on my budget. By the way... I don't really care about motherboards that much. I just want to be able to PLAY the games I want to play on the computer.

FinalSlam

I'd get a better gpu and put everything in the old case.

I'm not a high end gamer like you. I don't wanna play Crysis, or CoD4 on max setting. I just want to play CS:S. In plus, I would have to spend more on Power Supply, and my mom won't let me use the old case I have right now. The current computer is made by Dell, and it still has it warrenty. My mom told me that if I take any parts and replaced it, it would discontinue the warrenty. :/

Last edited:

Drenlin

Ah.

You can't use Dell cases anyway...they don't use standard parts.

Can you give a budget on this? Make sure it's what you really want to spend. There's no point in saying you have, for example, a $500 budget, when you really only have $300.

I can tell you already that the build needs work. The PSU is probably a cheapo, which is bad...PSU's can fry the whole system if they fail. The motherboard is definitely a cheapo, and will likely die long before one of a good brand will.

The GPU isn't the best either. I know you don't need a lot for Source-based games but it's still nice to have a good framerate and resolution. It's harder to be competitive when you don't.

Also, what operating system will you use? Windows is $105 minimum. Linux is free and will work fine but it's difficult to learn and use, especially since you'll need WINE to run the games.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Whats the top you want to spend and where are you ordering it from? And plus what was said above, do you need a OS?

Flaring Afro

I'm not a high end gamer like you. I don't wanna play Crysis, or CoD4 on max setting. I just want to play CS:S. In plus, I would have to spend more on Power Supply, and my mom won't let me use the old case I have right now. The current computer is made by Dell, and it still has it warrenty. My mom told me that if I take any parts and replaced it, it would discontinue the warrenty. :/

Just saying because I have heard of rumors of a counter strike 2 and though I doubt it would have intense graphics, the 9500 might not be enough. And I just usually go for performance over looks on a desktop and use an old case, though I understand you cant in this situation.

Last edited:

spottydog

Hi PhantomSixes.
I guess I left out the part that I prefer an Intel processor, and therefore to keep the price down use the E7500 which is at the lower end of the C2D range.
Sorry for the confusion.

Drenlin

Hi PhantomSixes.
I guess I left out the part that I prefer an Intel processor, and therefore to keep the price down use the E7500 which is at the lower end of the C2D range.
Sorry for the confusion.

There's no point in going to a Core 2 system now. They're all on LGA 775, which is being phased out, and AMD offers more performance for the price anyway. The Core i3/i5/i7 are Intel's current line. If you're not getting one of those then there's not really a point to going with Intel unless you just have a thing for old hardware.

As for the mobo, Jetway and Biostar do have the occasional gems, along with several other budget brands, but generally Gigabyte and Asus have the best quality. MSI isn't far behind though.

Last edited: