Is this a good Computer

pokemon87654

Yeah, it will, referb for example is some used parts of the inside of an iPod, But it has a new case, so it looks and seems brand new.

daisymtc

better pay a little more to go for at least AMD x 2 processor. Don't recomend the one you pick.
Do you consider building yourself?

cryption

I would get HP over dell, dell is generic hardware when my HP has an asus mobo and all name brnad stuff. My rig (in sig) was under $1000 and it games as well as I need. Just take that system you're getting and get yourself a 7900gs. For gaming on a budget you can't go wrong. I'm happy with mine.

Irishwhistle

If I were you I would get a Dell without a thought. They have great customer service to. Refurbished is just as good as new.

~Jordan

Irishwhistle

Oh, By the way did you ever consider a notebook. OK, I now that you posted this under desktops, but I have found notebooks to be a lot nicer (after all you can take them wherever you want to). I sometimes use a Dell Inspiron E1505 and I like it a lot. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium or Home Basic. If it means anything to you here are the specs.

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16GHz/667MHz FSB/4MB Cache)
512MB of shared11 DDR2 SDRAM standard (Upgradeable)
6-cell (53 WHr) "Smart" Lithium Ion battery
15.4" Widescreen Display
Available Resolutions:
WXGA (1280 x 800)
WSXGA (1280 x 800) with TrueLifeTM
WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) with TrueLifeTM
TrueLifeTM Technology provides rich, vibrant color with crisp, clear text; up to a 10% higher contrast ratio over the same display with an anti-glare coating.
128MB ATI MobilityTM Radeon® X1300 HyperMemory12 or:
256MB ATI MobilityTM Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory13 or:
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300
40, 60, 80, 100 or 120 GB5 hard drive
Combo Drive - 24x/10x/24x CD Burner and 8x DVD-ROM or:
8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW)15
Optional: External USB floppy drive
Optional: 64MB16, 128MB or 256MB USB memory key
Integrated stereo sound
External media controls placed front & center for easy control of volume, playback, fast forward, and rewind of CDs and DVDs. Next Generation Dell Media Direct provides quick, easy, one-touch access to digital photos, music and video without booting into MS Windows.
IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
4-USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) compliant 4-pin connectors
Flash Memory Slot - Secure Digital (SD) and SD/IO compliant 5-in-1 Combo Card connector - reads MS, MS Pro, SD/SDIO, MMC, xD CD type I/II, & IBM Microdrive through ExpressCard adapter
Video: 15-pin monitor connector
S-Video: 7-pin mini-DIN connector
Audio jacks: Stereo headphones/speakers mini-connector (same as line-out), microphone mini-connector
One ExpressCard slot 54mm 1.5 V and 3.3 V
Integrated v.92 56K capable17 modem
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card Wireless
Optional: Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless
Also available:
Optional: Dell TrueMobileTM 350 (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) internal Bluetooth module

As far as memory goes I use 1 Gig and it runs well.

NJNETSFAN

Oh, By the way did you ever consider a notebook. OK, I now that you posted this under desktops, but I have found notebooks to be a lot nicer (after all you can take them wherever you want to). I sometimes use a Dell Inspiron E1505 and I like it a lot. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium or Home Basic. If it means anything to you here are the specs.

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16GHz/667MHz FSB/4MB Cache)
512MB of shared11 DDR2 SDRAM standard (Upgradeable)
6-cell (53 WHr) "Smart" Lithium Ion battery
15.4" Widescreen Display
Available Resolutions:
WXGA (1280 x 800)
WSXGA (1280 x 800) with TrueLifeTM
WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) with TrueLifeTM
TrueLifeTM Technology provides rich, vibrant color with crisp, clear text; up to a 10% higher contrast ratio over the same display with an anti-glare coating.
128MB ATI MobilityTM Radeon® X1300 HyperMemory12 or:
256MB ATI MobilityTM Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory13 or:
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300
40, 60, 80, 100 or 120 GB5 hard drive
Combo Drive - 24x/10x/24x CD Burner and 8x DVD-ROM or:
8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW)15
Optional: External USB floppy drive
Optional: 64MB16, 128MB or 256MB USB memory key
Integrated stereo sound
External media controls placed front & center for easy control of volume, playback, fast forward, and rewind of CDs and DVDs. Next Generation Dell Media Direct provides quick, easy, one-touch access to digital photos, music and video without booting into MS Windows.
IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
4-USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) compliant 4-pin connectors
Flash Memory Slot - Secure Digital (SD) and SD/IO compliant 5-in-1 Combo Card connector - reads MS, MS Pro, SD/SDIO, MMC, xD CD type I/II, & IBM Microdrive through ExpressCard adapter
Video: 15-pin monitor connector
S-Video: 7-pin mini-DIN connector
Audio jacks: Stereo headphones/speakers mini-connector (same as line-out), microphone mini-connector
One ExpressCard slot 54mm 1.5 V and 3.3 V
Integrated v.92 56K capable17 modem
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card Wireless
Optional: Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless
Also available:
Optional: Dell TrueMobileTM 350 (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) internal Bluetooth module

As far as memory goes I use 1 Gig and it runs well.
Thats about $1000 over his budget. For $700 you can't get a gaming laptop.

sjvhslancer

i dont know what to get a dell or the hp because some people are saying the dell is better and some people are saying that the hp is better.

sjvhslancer

i just found this computer i waswondering if it was ok

HP Pavilion Slimline s3000y customizable Desktop PC
GC386AV#ABA
– Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic
– Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 641 w/ HT Technology, 3.2GHz
– 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
– FREE UPGRADE! 1GB DDR2-533MHz SDRAM (2x512)
– LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
– 15-in-1 memory card reader, USB, headphone port
– HP stereo speakers
– 802.11 b/g USB Wireless LAN card
– No TV Tuner w/remote control
– Integrated Intel(R) 950
– Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
– HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse
– Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
– HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

$600 after upgrading some of the parts

What also should i upgrade on it?

Last edited:

pokemon87654

I don't know what the options are/ how much they are, but I would upgrade the Processor to a Intel core 2 duo and more importantly the video card, (you don't want it to be intragated, what were the other options?)

lovely?

It's an HP monitor, so I assume the computer is an HP, if so, it's not a bad computer by any means.

Just adding it up in my head, I would say building a similar machine would be about $500, so if you are ok with paying $200 to have some one build it and provide customer support, then go for it. It should be a solid machine, but it's not top of the line, and it would not be a good gaming machine.

a good thing i noticed is that it comes with pci-e slot already. this computer seems to be very upgradeable

Pretty much every computer made today has a PCi-e slot, I've actually never seen a new one today without a PCi-e slot.

WRONG!! Dell tries to keep away from it. A Dimension 2400 and 3000 only have 3 PCI-conventional. I noticed the same on some HP PCs, Emachines is the same way.

NJNETSFAN

WRONG!! Dell tries to keep away from it. A Dimension 2400 and 3000 only have 3 PCI-conventional. I noticed the same on some HP PCs, Emachines is the same way.

Never owned a dell, shoulda mentioned that, but both Emachines I've had and two Gateways I had all had PCi-E slots.

NJNETSFAN

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 641 w/ HT Technology, 3.2GHz
is it any good?

It's an older processor, but its not that bad. You can fit a Core 2 duo e4300 into your budget. Idk how they match up, but I'd bet the Core 2 Duo would be close or better than the P4 641.