Is this a good set-up?

Kenoke

I did this cool order form on dell and looked at boxes and came up with this one..are the specs good? I'm looking for something that can run World of Warcraft at decent FPS.

The total cost w/ taxes&shipping is about $500.

Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)

3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)

Dell Entry Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

No Monitor

Radeon HD 2400 Pro Graphics Media Card

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

No Floppy Drive or Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1

Mouse included with Keyboard purchase

No Modem Option

16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

No speaker Option

Microsoft Works 9.0

McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days

1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Windows Vista™ Basic

And a few more questions:

When it says no speaker option, does that mean I didn't order speakers or that speakers won't work on my machine? I know its a dumb question and i'm leaning toward the answer i just didnt order them, but i'd still like to know.

Thanks!

spamdos

personally i wouldnt buy from dell, but basically you will want a much better gpu if you want to attempt gaming. look into Newegg you should be able to get a better system for that price. will get back to you if i see something

DV83R

i am with spamdos. i personally would not go for a stock standard computer. If i could suggest i reckon you should build your own. i dont know if u have the experience, but i reckon you could do better and pay another $100 to get it put together

spamdos

i am with spamdos. i personally would not go for a stock standard computer. If i could suggest i reckon you should build your own. i dont know if u have the experience, but i reckon you could do better and pay another $100 to get it put together

agreed, its a great idea to learn to build your own computer, it makes repairs and upgrades much easier and cheaper in the future. Use the abundant resource that is computer forum. you should have no problem putting a computer together with all the help on this form. Check the stickies on building your computer. i promise it will be worth it, and you can save hundreds and have fun!

mac550

one more thing, DONT get vista basic, its a pile of poo, get vista home premium. and yeah im with spamdos on the building your own, its really not hard to do.

atentora

You didn't order speakers is all that means.

Also, as was said, you will need a better GPU and would be better off just building on yourself or getting it built by someone for you.

Springy182

I did this cool order form on dell and looked at boxes and came up with this one..are the specs good? I'm looking for something that can run World of Warcraft at decent FPS.

The total cost w/ taxes&shipping is about $500.

Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)

3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)

Dell Entry Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

No Monitor

Radeon HD 2400 Pro Graphics Media Card

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

No Floppy Drive or Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1

Mouse included with Keyboard purchase

No Modem Option

16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

No speaker Option

Microsoft Works 9.0

McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days

1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Windows Vista™ Basic

And a few more questions:

When it says no speaker option, does that mean I didn't order speakers or that speakers won't work on my machine? I know its a dumb question and i'm leaning toward the answer i just didnt order them, but i'd still like to know.

Thanks!

*Ahem* for a 500$ machine, especially since it's a Dell (They tend to have markup vs. building your own) it's "OK" for every day use, but I wouldnt really recommend it for heavy gaming. Pentium Dual Core is the lower end version of Core 2 Duo, so it's not really "heavy duty" but it's still a decent value series. The RAM is a decent quantity and speed (DDR-2 800MHz being the norm these days) Graphics card is a budget card, but if all you want is World of Warcraft, that'll work. 250GB is the standard for HDDs in prebuilt systems, yes you can use speakers after (After all, it has a sound card) but you need to supply your own. Vista is horrible, I would *highly* recommend sticking with XP Macafee isnt worth much, you might want to get Avast later (Which is better, and free)

All in all, if you dont want to build your own, and if all you want is World of Warcraft. That machine will serve you well, but building it yourself is still better.

Edit: Atentora, your avatar rules.

Last edited: