Is this a good vid card?

funkymonky8u

awhile a go i got a geforce fx 5200 (256 mb) and i thought back then that the more memory on a vid card is better but then i fou8nf out that theres other things like vertex shading etc. is this vid card worthy of far cry?

canuck

not stock out of the box, you can play but you will need to turn most of the settings down or off. O/C is an option with that card but without proper cooling they are subject to burning out, as with all o/c you should be very carefull and monitor temps and have safeguards in place to keep from frying your hardware.

canuck

funkymonky8u said:
awhile a go i got a geforce fx 5200 (256 mb) and i thought back then that the more memory on a vid card is better but then i fou8nf out that theres other things like vertex shading etc. is this vid card worthy of far cry?
no....:(......you can play but will have to turn most of the settings down or off to get decent frame rates

sry about double post....browser error.....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
is this vid card worthy of far cry?
No.

not stock out of the box, you can play but you will need to turn most of the settings down or off. O/C is an option with that card but without proper cooling they are subject to burning out, as with all o/c you should be very carefull and monitor temps and have safeguards in place to keep from frying your hardware.
No amount of OCing wil save it :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats kinda futile ... when you could sell it (that is, if you're adapment about getting a new card)

double-dragon

you might get something out of that card. i have a Radeon 7500 in this pc and it runs C&C Generals perfectly fine...hell, it nearly runs Doom 3, lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ya well i bought it for 90 bucks??? good price???
I dunno ... if you're lucky here in Canada you can get 5200s for 90CAD .... radeon9600s kick in just over the $100CAD mark.... so prolly not that great a price.

Tha Killa

Praetor said:
I dunno ... if you're lucky here in Canada you can get 5200s for 90CAD .... radeon9600s kick in just over the $100CAD mark.... so prolly not that great a price.

Thats a nice price for 9600's. Where did you find it?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a nice price for 9600's. Where did you find it?
Its a normal price for 9600s man (i.e., damn near everywhere). 9600Pros are a different animal and weigh in just under 150CAD.