Is this build alright?

MrBucket

Everything looks ok, case has good airflow, good cpu, only thing i could say is the ram could be more suiting towards the board but as you already probably found out, newegg doesn't have any DDR2 1333 in stock that i saw yet, but im not 100% sure if having 1333 ram instead of what you posted would make a major difference. I'm startin out on a new build but with an AMD board and a 4850 also, specs are in my sig. You could try and get a board that has 2 PCI x16 2.0 slots because later down the road you could always add another 4850, and they'll probably be cheaper than they already are a few months from now, and from what i hear they will roar just as loud as a GTX280 for a nice value and also i found a little faster version of the 4850 with 2100 mhz memory and 680 mhz core here, its obviously factory overclocked but atleast you know its stable from the get go. Other than that, looks pretty good.

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
The only thing I would suggest is actually looking at the manufacturer website to buy. Newegg for some reason charges a ton for shipping and is not always the cheapest place to buy. For example... I just ordered the Coolermaster 690 Nvidia edition from Nvidia store itself. Newegg shipping was $72 and Nvidia charged me $12 shipping. I also bought a graphics card straight from BFG. Newegg charges $289 for the GTX 260 OC edition. BFG website has it for $215 with free shipping. The more money you save you can turn around and dump it into better hardware:)

Also...here is 4GB of RAM for only a little more money...might be something to think about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Last edited:

popeye

The only thing I would suggest is actually looking at the manufacturer website to buy. Newegg for some reason charges a ton for shipping and is not always the cheapest place to buy. For example... I just ordered the Coolermaster 690 Nvidia edition from Nvidia store itself. Newegg shipping was $72 and Nvidia charged me $12 shipping. I also bought a graphics card straight from BFG. Newegg charges $289 for the GTX 260 OC edition. BFG website has it for $215 with free shipping. The more money you save you can turn around and dump it into better hardware:)

Also...here is 4GB of RAM for only a little more money...might be something to think about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Shipping on all of the parts I listed was only around $20. Thanks for the tips on the RAM, I'll definitely be changing that.

afma142

looks like everyone is already going with the 4 gigs... wow I must be behind because I still thought 2 gigs was what was most requested. then again I have been living under a rock.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Im paying like 35 bucks for them to ship me like 10 parts for my build? 3.5% isnt a bad rate to charge for shipping?

Maybe it's just my address that makes it expensive for the shipping. You guys really only pay that low for shipping?:confused:

ScOuT

VIP Member
ya ha, are you really in germany like ur profile says? that's probably why ha

I do live in Germany but I have an American mailing address.

The 9800 GTX is a great card. You can overclock the crap out of them if you wish. I can run mine up around 800 MHz, just gotta crank the fan up. Plays all games great, even Crysis plays very good with settings on high...very high it gets a little choppy if the action gets intense. Call of Duty 4 with all settings maxed I average around 60-70 FPS. Great card for the price:)

popeye

I ordered the parts on Friday and they should be here on Tuesday. I ended up getting
4G of ram and also got the 620W Corsair psu; it was on sale and wasn't much more. I've never built a computer before, so hopefully it won't be to hard.