Is this card salvageable?

Washrag

Accidentally broke this off while taking a card out of a case. Wondering if it should just be thrown away. Not quite sure where it went, but the picture has a couple possible spots. Thanks

IMG_1624.jpg

viper110110

That is a capacitor

I am pretty sure your card will not work without it. If you know where it went, you could try soldering the ends back on. Just make sure you get the + and - the right way around.

After studying your picture a bit, I believe it goes in the top of the 2 spots. Put the not black end of the capacitor on the side where the + is on the board.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Looks like that's a FX5200, so you probably did yourself a favor by breaking it ^^;

That board does look odd, though. Is that lower part melted, or is it just how the picture came out? Well, as Viper said, it's probably from the top part. It shouldn't be too difficult to solder the capacitor back on or find a replacement capacitor to stick on there...

Washrag

Looks like that's a FX5200, so you probably did yourself a favor by breaking it ^^;

That board does look odd, though. Is that lower part melted, or is it just how the picture came out? Well, as Viper said, it's probably from the top part. It shouldn't be too difficult to solder the capacitor back on or find a replacement capacitor to stick on there...

Yeah, the picture is kind of distorted. Heh, I have a little thing for collecting parts, so I'd like to be able to save it if I can. Eventually I'll save up enough old parts to build a cheap desktop.

starlitjoker

looks like you got a little extra silicone there eh buddy?

i say donate to the salvation army, never know what they need.