Is this caused by SP2

R3D

Heyy yall, i just formatted my comp yday and the reason was that some of my icons werent loading like "My Computer" "Recycle Bin", "Control Panal" and stuff and other icons, so after i formatting it and putting everything back in, i downloaded and installed SP2 and the same thing happened again!! :( lol but i dont know why it didnt happen before when i had SP2 for a long time, is there a new bug or summit, please help, thanks. (oh yeah i done a system restore so now i've not got SP2 and it seems to be fine)

narafa

You might be using an illegal copy of the SP2, and that might be the reason why it makes all this. There is a version of windows XP Pro which is out in the market in which SP2 is embedded and it installs with windows installation.

apj101

VIP Member
Didi you install sp2 straight away and then the icons screwed up, or did you put some of your apps on there as well.

Download tweakui from microsoft (its free). They have an opion to rebuild icons in there that may help.

Also what happens when you change windows themes. Do the icons change?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
illegal version of SP2? SP2 is free to download legally, infact you cant get SP2 illegaly!!!

anyway, download powertoys for XP from microsoft.com. with it you get a program called tweakui. in that theres a menu which allows you to rebuild/repair the icons. try that and post back if it doesnt work

narafa

elmarcorulz said:
illegal version of SP2? SP2 is free to download legally, infact you cant get SP2 illegaly!!!

anyway, download powertoys for XP from microsoft.com. with it you get a program called tweakui. in that theres a menu which allows you to rebuild/repair the icons. try that and post back if it doesnt work

I agree that the SP2 is free to download, but if you are having an illegal copy of windows, you won't be able to install the SP2 or it will be corrupted.

R3D

Nope my copy is legal, got it with the comp, and yeah i installed programs first then updates and installed the SP2 and it screwed up from there, so i just done a system restore so I've not got SP2, so i dont think I'll put it on again (not sure) but all get those things that you were telling me, thanks.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
oh yeah i done a system restore so now i've not got SP2 and it seems to be fine

Just so as you know and others, Windows XP SP2 can be uninstalled so system restore really does not need to be performed.

You might be using an illegal copy of the SP2, and that might be the reason why it makes all this. There is a version of windows XP Pro which is out in the market in which SP2 is embedded and it installs with windows installation.

Dont think there's such as thing as "an illegal copy of SP2" as it's available as a free download off of Microsofts website. Also so that everyone knows you can slipstream any Windows XP cd with a downloaded version of SP2 so that you dont need to instal SP2 anymore as it will be installed alongside Windows.

I agree that the SP2 is free to download, but if you are having an illegal copy of windows, you won't be able to install the SP2 or it will be corrupted.

Cant say for all cases but this statement to the best of my knowledge is incorrect.

Anyhow this icon thing is very strange indeed :). I've not heard anyone having this particuler problem. Are you using any other programs such as Icon Packager?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
download powertoys for XP from microsoft.com. with it you get a program called tweakui. in that theres a menu which allows you to rebuild/repair the icons. try that and post back if it doesnt work

try this^^^^

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
download powertoys for XP from microsoft.com. with it you get a program called tweakui. in that theres a menu which allows you to rebuild/repair the icons. try that and post back if it doesnt work

try this^^^^

He prob got ya the first time :p

R3D

heyy yeah am going to get it, one more thing, is there any way how i can find out my product key on the comp? (its a Legal copy btw) lol :D

dave597

VIP Member
R3D said:
heyy yeah am going to get it, one more thing, is there any way how i can find out my product key on the comp? (its a Legal copy btw) lol :D
noones saying it isnt a legal copy! if you do have an illegal copy, then you wont be able to install sp2, simple as that.

i think it is better to install sp2 on a clean copy of windows rather than one you have been using for a year or longer. that way you will encounter less problems such as conflicts between firewalls and bugs etc.

R3D

elmarcorulz said:
type magic jelly bean in google and its the first one. trust me it works!!!

lma0 nice site man, i didnt know if you were telling the truth :p lolol but thanks man :D

narafa

Blue said:
That is incorrect sir :).

If one have an illegal copy of the windows XP and he/she registered his copy through the internet, then any other computer running the same CD-Key (Which was registered before) can't install SP2..

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If one have an illegal copy of the windows XP and he/she registered his copy through the internet, then any other computer running the same CD-Key (Which was registered before) can't install SP2..

A proper "illegal" copy of Windows does not need to be activated period. All updates including SP2 (which is just an update) will install fine.

I honestly think though that we follow the forum rules and stick with the original topic and don't discuss illegal software.

R3D

lma0 yeah we kinda drifted lol tis funny, and its kool yall, everythings fine (not putting SP2 back in lol) so thanks yall.