Is this computer any good?

Pupp

OK, here's my old computer: https://www.amazon.com/Dell...

And here's my current computer: https://www.amazon.com/Acer...

How much more powerful is my current one?

The relative that I helped to buy a computer recently had similar specs, but with 16 gb ram and a Geforce 1660S graphic card at about $900. Was a Lenova brand.

Recently, stock computers you get at places like Best Buy or Office Depot have gotten much better than a few years ago.

They're still not competing with online stores like CyberpowerPC.com. Which a similar build would cost more, but be a much better system... but for 85% of the public, those stock machines are more than adaquete. Best Buy does stock CyberpowerPC, and they're tricked out with LED fan and case lights. You can turn off the lights if you want. They do use large cases, so you'd would probably not want to have the case on the desktop.

I usually only recommend online custom computers for two reasons:
1. The person has a large budget: $1800 or more.

2. The person is using a computer for resource intensive applications like photoshop/desktop publishing, video editing, database stuff, or any application that might need an external RAID.

I do recommend everybody take a look at online stores that do custom pc's. There are several online companies that are just as good as CyberpowerPC. Just google "custom pc builds online". Just to get a reference between stock computers, and computers made with higher quality off the shelf parts.

Higher quality is stuff like more PCIe slots, Thunderbolt expandability. Basically stuff that most consumers don't necessarily need. But people that need those things... REALLY need them.

Last edited:
The relative that I helped to buy a computer recently had similar specs, but with 16 gb ram and a Geforce 1660S graphic card at about $900. Was a Lenova brand.

Recently, stock computers you get at places like Best Buy or Office Depot have gotten much better than a few years ago.

They're still not competing with online stores like CyberpowerPC.com. Which a similar build would cost more, but be a much better system... but for 85% of the public, those stock machines are more than adaquete. Best Buy does stock CyberpowerPC, and they're tricked out with LED fan and case lights. You can turn off the lights if you want. They do use large cases, so you'd would probably not want to have the case on the desktop.

I usually only recommend online custom computers for two reasons:
1. The person has a large budget: $1800 or more.

2. The person is using a computer for resource intensive applications like photoshop/desktop publishing, video editing, database stuff, or any application that might need an external RAID.

I do recommend everybody take a look at online stores that do custom pc's. There are several online companies that are just as good as CyberpowerPC. Just google "custom pc builds online". Just to get a reference between stock computers, and computers made with higher quality off the shelf parts.

Higher quality is stuff like more PCIe slots, Thunderbolt expandability. Basically stuff that most consumers don't necessarily need. But people that need those things... REALLY need them.
There's a lot of talk about PC gaming, but a computer that can surf the web and check emails is good enough for most people.

Pupp

OMG, the computer I'm using was built in 2015 and died inside of two weeks. CyberpowerPC sent a repairman to replace the PSU.

Computers sometimes have issues when they're new. That's why they all come with warranties. It's not a big deal.

If you get past 60 days, the chances of it having issues from being new goes down to something very tiny.

Pupp

Better is relative, but at that price point, it's way better. The CPU is slightly better than my i7 6700k from a few years ago. 12 gigs of ram is the minimum I recommend. 16 GB of ram (compared to 12 GB) isn't going to help your computer much. Unless you have an actual need for 16GB of ram, 12GB is sufficient.

The integrated graphics is more than sufficient for a 4k monitor or a pair of 1920x1080 monitors. (Since I'm using duel 1920x1080 monitors with a 6 year old CPU with integrated graphics).

It will boot incredibly fast, has a USB Type C port, and Wifi 6. At that price point, your getting a much better computer than mine, as far as the stock specs. I have an expensive motherboard with extra bells and whistles that 85% of consumers would never use. I had to buy an expansion card to get Wifi on my computer.

You might be wondering, "If you heard bad things about Acer, why did you buy it?". I saw that it was considered the best budget computer on some sites (Well, the UA91 model was, but I figured that the UA92 model would be even better), and I saw that it had the Amazon's Choice label.

adscoin

You might be wondering, "If you heard bad things about Acer, why did you buy it?". I saw that it was considered the best budget computer on some sites (Well, the UA91 model was, but I figured that the UA92 model would be even better), and I saw that it had the Amazon's Choice label.

not too bad actually acer