Is this config good?

rohith

Hi guys!
Im gonna get a new gaming pc with the following specs:
intel 915G chipset motherboard
intel pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz "gransdale"
cd combo drive(cd rom, cd r, cd rw)
Geforce 6600 GT PCX graphics card(128 mb ddr3 1000Mhz)
256 mb ddr ram
80 gb seagate baracuda hard drive
56k modem
multimedia keyboard and mouse(Logitech)
Philips 1500W Speakers
17" Samsung monitor
3.5" floppy drive(sony)

All this for around $950(My budget is 950)
Is this good?
Will there be any problems?
Please let me know IMMEDIATELY!!!
Thnx!!! :)

Last edited:

Aem

Looks like you could do with some more ram in that package, or make sure you're going to be able to upgrade it.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Agreed...you're RAM is a bit low. I've seen some games that used around a gig of RAM! I'd try to at least go with 512M...

LittleHoov

ripken2004 said:
an intel gaming machine?

agreed, an AMD machine will be much better for gaming, Intel's high clock speed means nothing, and the hyperthreading wont do you any good for most games, hyperthreading makes the processor handle multi-threaded apps very well..but most games are single threaded anyway.

you should easily be able to jump pretty high on the Athlon 64 bandwagon for the same price youd be paying for that Intel.

and definetely more RAM

you can google for comparisions of AMD 64s vs Intel Pentium 4s for tons of benchmarks etc..

TheChef

For about the same price you can get an Athlon 64 3200 Winchester and Asus A8N-E, but you would still definetly need to upgrade that memory.

Charlie7940

All this for around $950

I think you can do a little better than that for $950 (I assume US dollars). But yeah like others have suggested I'd go with an AMD 64 processor, you will usually find it to be cheaper too. And a 56k modem? Sorry but if you plan to play any online games you will not get good results.

LittleHoov

sadly. some people in this country, such as myself, do not high-speed internet available to them, im still using dial-up and thats all i can get, and it sucks..methinks thats what his problem is as well, but at any rate just get a motherboard with onboard LAN connector and youll be fine, no matter what sort of internet connection you come up with.