Is This Good?

Fire

Is this good?

ASUS nVIDIA GeForce PCX5750 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, PCI-Express, Model "EN5750/TD/128"

working with a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe! can it handle PCI Express!?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fire said:
can it hold the card or do i need a adapter?

I don't believe the adapters have been sold to the public yet. I know i heard talk of them....but i haven't seen them on shelves yet.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You mean you can actualy get adapters for agp boards so you can run pci-express? Kewl! although wouldn't it still be limited to the speeds of whatever slot it's plugged into?

Fire

couldnt i just use it on PCI? i have heard some people used a PCI Express on Pci Slots no problem!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Blue said:
You mean you can actualy get adapters for agp boards so you can run pci-express? Kewl! although wouldn't it still be limited to the speeds of whatever slot it's plugged into?

I ony heard rumors from people about it, and read a few articles saying they would bundle an adapter for eople still using AGP boards. But i have yet to hear ANYTHING about it and no news as of yet...so maybe they abandoned the idea now that they came out with mobos that support it. maybe they thought the mobos would come out b4 the cards or something.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fire said:
couldnt i just use it on PCI? i have heard some people used a PCI Express on Pci Slots no problem!

I dont think that's possible, as the PCI-E form factor is different (to my knowledge). I'm just guessing, but i think it runs faster than a 33MHz connection, and it needs more voltage than a regular PCI slot can run on. Praetor would know for sure...

Fire

CRAP! I just ordered my comp with a PCI Express cause some1 told me it would work! I got a Asus video card and a Asus k8v SE Deluxe! I'm Screwed!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fire said:
CRAP! I just ordered my comp with a PCI Express cause some1 told me it would work! I got a Asus video card and a Asus k8v SE Deluxe! I'm Screwed!

" I think you're confusing two different standards, PCI X and PCI Express (be
sure to thank Intel for the confusing terminology). PCI-X is regular PCI
extended to 64-bits and any of several higher clock speeds. PCI Express,
aka "PCI-E" is a completely different standard that is not
backward-compatible with any existing PCI hardware.

A PCI-X board is supposed to fit in a regular PCI slot and work, possibly
with reduced performance, and vice versa. A PCI-E board will not fit in a
regular PCI slot nor will a regular PCI board fit in a PCI-E slot.

PCI Express x1 uses one wire pair to carry data a little faster than regular
PCI. There's also x2, x4, x8, and x16. PCI-E video boards use x16, which
is a good deal faster than AGP 8x, but if you're not using a video board in
it that same slot can be used for some other type of PCI-E device. "

That explain it? PCI-E will not work on a regular PCI slot. PCI-X willl though supposedly. sry bout the purchase.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I have a PCI-X and it's in a normal PCI slot.....but PCI Express will not work :eek:
as 4W4K3 already pointed out.

You could cancel your order. Most sites will do that no charge.

Yes but if you were to get it off say...EBAY then well it'd be up to the person if you could cancel it :( But getting it ordered from a shop, they should cancel it no probs ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe the adapters have been sold to the public yet
1. They dont exist yet
2. For the costs invovled you might as well get native support

i have heard some people used a PCI Express on Pci Slots no problem!
Then you heard some first rate bullshit :)

I think you're confusing two different standards, PCI X and PCI Express (be ure to thank Intel for the confusing terminology). PCI-X is regular PCI extended to 64-bits
LOl then theres also 64bit PCI :p