Is this normally included???

GimpsGTP

When you buy a hard drive is it normally supposed to come with cables, software etc. or is it normal for it to just come with just the hard drive. I found this awesome deal on a WD200 GB for 89.00 after rebate but it says comes in OEM packaging, not including, cables, software, or mounting screws. so i didnt know if thats normal or not, and if so where could i get all those cables software and mounting accesories, what are they called?
Thanks
Nick

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends. If you buy OEM you get the drive. If you buy the retail kit then you get the cables, extra jumpers, manuals etc. If you need those extra things, local computer stores usually have them for $5 or so, nothin major.

GimpsGTP

this will be my first time building a computer so do you think it will be necessary to get the manuals and all the cables, if i just get the OEM drive, what cables and stuff will i need to install?
Thanks
Nick

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Manuals arent prolly needed and you can get help here or even download the manuals from the net. If you're getting a PATA drive then you'll be needing to get something like this:
dc22-24.jpg

If its a SATA drive then you'll be needing something like this
5msata.jpg

I wouldnt go buy the cables just yet ... most mobos come with all the cables and stuff you'll need :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
SATA drives are a (relatively) new type of harddrive interface (they've been around for roughly 2-3 years) which sends a single stream of data at extremely high speeds rather than a whole bunch of streams of data at low-medium speeds. The end result is a higher throughput. SATA drives are rated as ATA7 (aka ATA-150). Second generation SATA, dubbed ATA-300 should double the available throughput of the system

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you buy OEM you get the drive. If you buy the retail kit

wait you're telling me theres non-OEM hard drives? :p

All your cables should come with your motherboard, unless you have a prebuilt system, then you can buy them at most any computer shop

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
For example, you can buy a WD hdd bare or in a retail kit (which comes with cable, a CD with software and a manual).
The funny thing is that both have the same price! :confused:

Blade

what the hell is OEM?

SATA stands for Serial ATA...Serial, as apposed to Parrellel, ATA, same as...i dunno what the ATA is. PATA is parrallel ATA. If it is a SATA drive then you will need to check that your motherboard comes with SATA connctors, a friend of mine bought a new drive and couldnt use it. He needed to go to the liberty of getting a converter thing, attachment to the cabling.