Is this pc good enough for app development?

Clickau

Hi there! I am new to programming and I want to start making some apps. I want to get into android applications and maybe some games using Unity. I also want to run the virtual machine to test my apps for mobile devices. Is this pc good enough?

beers

Staff member
Kind of depends what applications you're building. Should be decent for most projects, however, especially just starting out.

I'd also get balanced RAM sticks instead of mismatching 8+4 GB sticks.

Clickau

And also: should I spend more for an i5-7600k and a cooler so that I can overclock it? I'd like to keep this pc for as long as i can but is this worth it?

Agent Smith

The i5 would be pretty future proof I guess. I hear there's an i9? or something right around the corner. When I was going to build a new computer the Devils Canyon CPU was out. I waited and all of a sudden Skylake came out. Now it's Kaby Lake. So you can't keep up. I just built my new computer on the 6th which is just an i5 6600k. It's nice I guess. Loads FSX in nothing flat considering I have so much aircraft AI. I do plan on overclocking as soon as I get my new RAM next month. So on the subject of OCing, you could do it, just make sure you don't bump the voltage too high. In fact, you shouldn't have to touch the voltage unless your OC is too unstable. I'd look at the overclock.net forum. There are many experienced users that OC.

Agent Smith

So, should I get 8 gb of ram or 16?

16 is the sweet spot these days. Especially if you plan on gaming. Any more than that is just a complete wait of money unless you use it for a RAM drive. You could throw in 64 GB of RAM and create a RAM drive for VMware. But I'm just throwing stuff out there. You don't need to do that if you have an SSD or m.2 drive.

A note on your build though. Make sure you go to the motherboard's website and look at the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) and make sure your RAM will work in the board. Better safe than sorry. That's what I do.

Here's how you do that. Copy the part number which will be a long number like; F4-3600C17D-16GTZR. Now paste that into Newegg.com or whatever website you are using. Newegg, I've noticed is pretty good and showing that RAM based on the part/model number. Not sure about PCpartpicker and the rest. You could use Newegg to look at what type of RAM it is, and then enter that type of RAM into PCpartpicker to find out who has the deal. Sometimes Amazon might be cheaper. But due note, unless you have Amazon crime, I mean, PRIME you'll get gouged by shipping costs.

Last edited:

Clickau

Ok, thanks for the advice. I've already chosen a 2x8GB kit from crucial and found it on the QVC so I think I'm gonna stick with my current config. Thanks once more for all the help.

Agent Smith

Not QVC, QVL. QVC is a home shopping network your bon bon eating wife shops on while you're at work slaving a way. :D LOL!