Is this PSU big enough for this?

OmniDyne

I'd say the power supply is more than adequate, however, age is as important. How old is that power supply?

I'd look at reviews of the GTX 1660 or the AMD RX 5000 series; similar pricing to the RX 590 but newer and superior.

I'd really just go ahead and spend the extra cash and go 5700XT or RTX 2060.

RunAway

I'd say the power supply is more than adequate, however, age is as important. How old is that power supply?

I'd look at reviews of the GTX 1660 or the AMD RX 5000 series; similar pricing to the RX 590 but newer and superior.

I'd really just go ahead and spend the extra cash and go 5700XT or RTX 2060.
Yeah, you were reading my mind. I was thinking that exact same way. The power supply is OLD... Lol.. This will be the third upgrade with it. I hate to put ole Bessy out to pasture just yet. She held up under the legendary Q6600 season, now she's seen her way through the FX generation. She's been tough. Gonna see how long she can go. Lol.

And you are right, I should go ahead and invest wisely. I've been researching in studying more. I see what you are saying now. The RX 590 and the RX 5500xt are basically the same except the latter is newer architecture on pcie 4.0 for the same money. If my mobo is gonna support it why get the older card?

I'm kind of like the fellow who had two obstacles to get over when he wanted to go skydiving; first he had to actually get on the airplane and then he had to make the jump. Still trying to talk myself into upgrading but money is always an issue..

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would actually change out the psu to something newer. Something that has only 1 12v rail. The current psu has 3 12v rails. Anything over 5 years old should be changed out. Especially if building a new pc, you are taking a chance of it blowing and take your new components with it.

RunAway

I would actually change out the psu to something newer. Something that has only 1 12v rail. The current psu has 3 12v rails. Anything over 5 years old should be changed out. Especially if building a new pc, you are taking a chance of it blowing and take your new components with it.
Awe man you putting the squeeze on me!

Can you take a moment to explain the one 12 volt rail vs the 3 to me?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you take a moment to explain the one 12 volt rail vs the 3 to me?

When you have multiple 12 volt rails on a psu, that means that different hardware will use the different rails and divide up the power. The hardware that uses it are Hard Drives, Cpu and Video card, might be some others. So generally you know that high end cpu's and video cards require more power. I've always been a firm believer of using a psu with a single 12volt rail that can handle all the hardware. You don't want to take chance on overloading any rails on a multiple rail psu. Hopefully I just didn't confuse you more.