Is this safe to use?

Nick.D

I'm having some issues with my windows disk. It is giving me an error during the 'expanding windows files' part. I've used it like 20 times before, so I wouldn't be able to activate it anyways.

I do have 2 other copies of windows, both 7 and 10. They are on flash drives and might end up working, but the person who sent them to me is infamous for putting loads spyware onto people's computers... so do you think it is safe to use either of them?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Because it requires a product key. Mine has been used too many times and isn't valid anymore.
If you've used it on the same system all you need to do is contact Microsoft and talk to the robot. If you get transferred to someone, just and tell them it's a reactivation.

Nick.D

If you've used it on the same system all you need to do is contact Microsoft and talk to the robot. If you get transferred to someone, just and tell them it's a reactivation.

I've never used the key on this computer, sadly. The disc is from when windows 7 first came out. Been invalid since before this computer.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've never used the key on this computer, sadly. The disc is from when windows 7 first came out. Been invalid since before this computer.
So it's a retail copy then? Is it in use on another system? If not then you can re-use it on this machine.

If it's an OEM purchased license you cannot transfer it from system to system like you can with a retail license.