Is this setup good?

aogmblah

Hi, im a new member to this board. im getting a new computer, but i cant spend an unlimited amount of money. i can spend around the $1500 range, and i wanted to know if this setup would be good for all around use but more towards the gaming side. both positive and negative comments are welcome so i know what to get and what not to. i appreciate your time.

ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CP

AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

with all the optical drives and what not

Phippsp

I would say that would be a pretty sweet setup you got there. But what power supply are you looking at getting and mabye you would look into getting 2 60 or 80gb hard drives and setting them up into RAID0?

aogmblah

thank you for the reply. im getting a 480 watt thermaltake powersource. im not all familiar with Raid. would it be better to get two hardrives through raid instead of just having one in a regular set up? what would be the advantages?

Phippsp

Look at this link
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10889
It tells you all you need to know about RAID arrays.

But short description from me is that RAID0 which is most common I believe and is what I use takes 2 HDD's and splits them together. So not all your information will go right in to 1 driver or the other but into both. Basically your 2 hard drives are working as 1 hard drive shareing the load to increase speed.

And what else I would do is look at for any question on PSUs
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10764
But short description on PSUs is that that the watts that you see when you are going to purchase them mean nothing really. What you want to look for is the output or the numbers on the label on the PSU itself. You will see numbers such as +5, +3.3, +12 those are the volts and that is what you want to look at for a good PSU. The one you want to zero on the most is the +12v. There is going to be another number with these which look like +12v@18A or +12v@30A. For the system your are building I highly recommend that you get one that says +12v@30A or higher. The link above will tell you alot better detailed and other stuff such as duel +12v rails and also gives a section on some good PSUs to look at.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
what would be the advantages?

Well I wont make a long post describing raid and yada yada but the advantages really are not all that great considering the price it costs for the two drives. The average computer user would see little benefit at all.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well I wont make a long post describing raid and yada yada but the advantages really are not all that great considering the price it costs for the two drives
hehe i saved you the trouble http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10889

As for the system, a few comments
1. Why SLI board if not getting an SLI setup (unless you plan to)
2. MSI K8N Neo4 and DFI Lanparty4 are superior boards both in stock and overclocked performance
3. Dont chince out on a PSU :)

aogmblah

about the sli, if i were to get vid cards in sli, nvida 6600gt's. would it be better than having just a single 6800 ultra?

sorry for all the questions :eek: this is my first time building a computer from the bottom up.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
about the sli, if i were to get vid cards in sli, nvida 6600gt's. would it be better than having just a single 6800 ultra?
Generally speaking yes although getting a single 6800U is kinda waste since its an easy overclock from the 6800GT which is excessively cheaper :)