Is this thermal paste conductive?

Agent Smith

Why would it be conductive? I don't think any manufacture would make thermal paste conductive. Would be pretty stupid, wouldn't?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Why would it be conductive? I don't think any manufacture would make thermal paste conductive. Would be pretty stupid, wouldn't?
To be fair some used to be electrical conductive. Some might still be, depends how much metal is in it usually. Stuff like AS5, and whatever coolmaster is shipping are likely pretty safe. But you shouldn't be slathering the stuff on so that it goops everywhere when you fasten the heatsink.

Calin

In terms of electricity, stuff like Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra which I used between the IHS and die when I delidded my CPU is conductive.

The VCR King

I remember reading a post on TechSupportGore where a guy put that metallic thermal paste in the actual CPU socket and put his CPU in it and when he tried to boot it the electricity was conducted by the paste to all the pins and it just totally fried the whole CPU.