Is this thermal paste conductive?

Discussion in 'Computer Accessories' started by Hunter Rees, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Hunter Rees

Hunter Rees New Member

So I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and it comes with thermal paste. is the thermal paste conductive?

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

Why would it be conductive? I don't think any manufacture would make thermal paste conductive. Would be pretty stupid, wouldn't?

3. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

He probably means conductive of heat.

4. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

To be fair some used to be electrical conductive. Some might still be, depends how much metal is in it usually. Stuff like AS5, and whatever coolmaster is shipping are likely pretty safe. But you shouldn't be slathering the stuff on so that it goops everywhere when you fasten the heatsink.

Darren likes this.
  5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

HAHAHA Oops! Went right over my head.

6. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Kind of a dumb question though, that is the sole purpose of thermal paste, to conduct heat.

Darren likes this.
  7. Calin

Calin Well-Known Member

In terms of electricity, stuff like Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra which I used between the IHS and die when I delidded my CPU is conductive.

8. The VCR King

The VCR King Well-Known Member

I remember reading a post on TechSupportGore where a guy put that metallic thermal paste in the actual CPU socket and put his CPU in it and when he tried to boot it the electricity was conducted by the paste to all the pins and it just totally fried the whole CPU.