Is this worth it?

MrSnek

Intel core i7 6700 3.4 GHZ processor
Gigabyte h170- d3h ultra durable motherboard
Gtx 1060 6gb dual graphics card
Seagrate 1 tb hdd
Raidmax 500.w power supply
Corsair spec-01 windows case

I am new at building a pc I have no idea what I am doing (still learning) is this build considered a good price 1084$

_Glitch

Already have the RAM?

You are buying an outdated CPU. I would go for the i7-7700 instead.
It cost 20 bucks more, but it's worth it. You could also wait for the I7-7600. It will be price similar to the 6700 but still outperform it.
If you choose a gen7 series CPU, you will also need another motherboard.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

_Glitch

Yes it is outdated. It's last gen. Doesn't matter what socket it uses.
It's outdated like the gtx 980 is outdated. It's still good and it still uses PCI-E 3.0, sure. But you should go for a 1070 or a 1080 instead.

Didn't know gen 7 was supporter on H170. Sorry for that mistake.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes it is outdated. It's last gen. Doesn't matter what socket it uses.
It's outdated like the gtx 980 is outdated. It's still good and it still uses PCI-E 3.0, sure. But you should go for a 1070 or a 1080 instead.

Didn't know gen 7 was supporter on H170. Sorry for that mistake.

Debatable. I wouldn't call same socket outdated. Now going from socket 1150 to 1151 is outdated. But to each his own.
I think a better term would be last gen. It's technically not the newest, but "outdated" makes it sound like it's a poor choice or won't perform well.

beers

Staff member
It's outdated like the gtx 980 is outdated
That's kind of a slant reference though. There was a noticeable gain in going 980->1080 or similar. The jump to Kaby Lake is a couple of percent at best and largely due to increased clocks.

Hexus Review said:
It's easy to see that frequency is all that separates these two quad-core chips. We proved this empircally by running the Core i7-6700K at the same frequencies as the Kaby Lake and found performance to be within one per cent.

From a CPU perspective, then, Kaby Lake is merely a faster-clocked iteration of Skylake.

Calin

Get a better PSU, I only heard bad things about Raidmax ones. Try to find a Seasonic.

Calin

Also, what do you plan to use the PC for? If it's for gaming, I would consider getting an i5 and a stronger GPU.

MrSnek

Also, what do you plan to use the PC for? If it's for gaming, I would consider getting an i5 and a stronger GPU.
The thing is its already built so if I want to upgrade it will cost extra so if it isn't worth it then I can just build a new one but if the difference is not that big I won't bother with the shipping and stuff so I need a professional opinion should I buy it or build a new one?

MrSnek

I sure as hell wouldn't trust someone that builds systems with raidmax PSUs
Alright thanks for your time I will find another build if you wouldn't mind suggesting a build with a gtx 1060 for below 1000$ I would really appreciate it ( there are many builds but you seem to know a lot)

mistersprinkles

I wouldn't trust anybody who puts raidmax psus in their custom builds either. Having said that I did build a guy a machine with an i5 4460 (no GPU) on an H81 board running a Diablotek (aka el diablo) PSU about a year ago. I fully disclosed that the PSU was a piece of crap but it was the only way to fit his budget as he INSISTED on the rest of the parts. I warned him but he was cool with it so it went in the machine. Hasn't died yet.

ramirez

Intel core i7 6700 3.4 GHZ processor
Gigabyte h170- d3h ultra durable motherboard
Gtx 1060 6gb dual graphics card
Seagrate 1 tb hdd
Raidmax 500.w power supply
Corsair spec-01 windows case

I am new at building a pc I have no idea what I am doing (still learning) is this build considered a good price 1084$

If you have read some of the current reviews of the 7700k versus the 6700k there really wasn't much of a difference in performance and what you did see, was marginal. Really the only reason to step to the 7700 would be to go with the next gen motherboards...Z270's. GPU wise, probably wouldn't really want to go anything less than a GTX1070. Power Supply wise I like to stick with at least a 700-800 watter minimum....I like the wiggle room. Don't settle for bare minimum DDR4 ram speeds either, try to get at least middle of the road...16GB should be decent enough, but most people like to slap 32 or 64gb. Now you can go with a Z170 motherboard and flash the BIOS to the latest release that supports the 7700 series. Just my opinion