is TV software illegal?

Aastii

VIP Member
Is software like sopcast or my p2p which let you watch television on your computer illegal? They usually let you watch not only shows from the country you are in but also ones from other countries if there is say an internationional sport event not televised in your country or a series that is aired first in america.

If you have paid TV liscence and have a paid subscription to sky or virgin or something similar and would get the show but later on than you can watch on these programs, is it illigal or not?

I've never gone into the whole legality of it and have never really thought about it, but considered it as my step-dad watches rugby matches that are on Sky Sports (we don't have sky sports) on my p2p on his laptop

Zatharus

VIP Member
This depends on many licensing factors and the laws of your principality. Generally it is illegal to re-broadcast television content in any format for public access. Private use is fine (like with a SlingBox). It is the reason why licensing is required to show a sports game to a large audience (like the Superbowl or World Cup in a school auditorium) and why stores pay a fee for music played over their in-house audio system (or even just a small stereo in the corner), but you can record a show to your DVR to view later at home.

Now, going international can also bring about a whole other class of issues...

Aastii

VIP Member
So what you are saying is it is a little complicated really and to be sure i should advise my parents that they shouldn't be using them just incase it is breaking some kind of law?

Zatharus

VIP Member
Yes, I am saying it is a little complicated. I am no expert in the legalities of this, but I have had enough exposure to media licensing through producing/setting up public and large group events and media distribution. In your case, I do not see any problem with using programs like SopCast. It does look like there are legitimately legal uses for this. But...you can get into the sticky issue with copyrighted material of who is the illegal party: the broadcaster or the viewer?

Really, the moral/legal question on this comes down to who is doing the broadcasting and do they have the rights to do so. Websites like hulu.com are actually set up and sponsored by the broadcasters who hold the rights to the material in the first place. So, you will have to look into who is offering the broadcast that you wish to watch. It may be an authorized distribution or not.

Aastii

VIP Member
alright then, i will be careful should the need arise (like this weekend, saints v wigan super league match :D:D) That one is legal, it is streamed from sky sports.

Thanks for all of the info :)

dug987654

alright then, i will be careful should the need arise (like this weekend, saints v wigan super league match :D:D) That one is legal, it is streamed from sky sports.

Thanks for all of the info :)

Do you subscribe to Sky Sports? If not then that is illegal!

Aastii

VIP Member
Do you subscribe to Sky Sports? If not then that is illegal!

No, i said that before, however i could leave my house about 30 seconds before kick off and walk down to my friends house and watch it there, he is watching too...with that logic, it is legal, if they don't want me to watch it and want to make an issue i will stop watching on my computer and walk around the corner, it is all the same game :D

Zatharus

VIP Member
If you are watching a direct web-streamed feed from Sky Sports, then it shouldn't be a problem. The logical argument about a friend having access...that's when you start to get sticky. ;)

If you are using such softwares and you have license then it is not illegal but if you are using such software without licence then ofcourse it is illegal..
138l1309.jpg