Is upgrading Win 7 from 32 to 64 bit worth it?

Delboy

I currently have a 2008 vintage Toshiba laptop with an Athlon 64 dual core TK-57 1.9GHz processor with 2GB of RAM. Originally it had 32 bit Vista installed and I upgraded to Win 7 32 bit about a year ago without realising it had a 64 bit processor. So I was wondering whether I would see much improvement from a 64 bit OS?

The computer regularly crashes and always has since installing Win 7 so a new install was part of the reason for the upgrade thought.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Unless you're using more than 4GB of RAM then no you won't notice an improvement.

As for the crashing, I would test your HDD for errors with the drive manufacturer diagnostic utility, and also test your RAM with Memtest86+

beers

Staff member
The computer regularly crashes and always has since installing Win 7 so a new install was part of the reason for the upgrade thought.
Sounds like something else is wrong with your PC.

As above, I'd stick with 32-bit in that environment. All of your applications use more RAM in a 64-bit environment, so you get slightly more usability with such a small quantity on 32-bit.

Delboy

Unless you're using more than 4GB of RAM then no you won't notice an improvement.

As for the crashing, I would test your HDD for errors with the drive manufacturer diagnostic utility, and also test your RAM with Memtest86+

Its got slightly worse lately, I randomly get horizontal lines (like a TV off station) for about 10 seconds then the computer restarts, which can be inconvenient!

I have no idea which HDD I have or how exactly to test it or the RAM. Any advice/links would be helpful but I will start to search the site/google.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Does the machine lock up when the video issue occurs? If so I'd say chuck the machine and buy a new one.

Delboy

Does the machine lock up when the video issue occurs? If so I'd say chuck the machine and buy a new one.

Its random but if the computer is left until it goes to sleep it will often crash as soon as it wakes.
Sometimes it will crash just after I press shutdown :-/

Delboy

Ok I have run a HDD test and it found no problems.
I have down loaded and run Memtest86 twice and the computer switched off half way through test 6!?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
It wouldn't just turn off in the middle of the test unless the computer overheated.

Delboy

The first time I ran it I wasnt paying that much attention (although I did notice test 6) and it just shut down. The second time I watched it until it shut down again half way through test 6. I restarted the computer without problem and carried on. Its never shutdown due to overheating...

Delboy

I have just run it again and it switched off at 5% of test 7 this time!
Can you clarify which drive you are referring to (HDD, USB?)
As I understand the default Memtest86 test runs 13 tests of the whole system, unless you mean version and I would have to run it again to take note.

Actually the user manual says version 4.3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
HDD. Actually a hardware failure will also make a system turn off. I've seen bad hard drives cause this. When the system crashes, does it give you a blue screen or does it just reboot?

Delboy

Its a Toshiba HDD2H04 120Gb 5400rpm.
Normally when it crashes I get lots of broken horizontal lines across the screen like a tv just off station. but when the Memtest86 is running it just goes blank and silent :-/ it doesnt reboot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This sort of sounds like a video card issue. Since this is a laptop, then we are talking about integrated video on the motherboard. It may be time to put this machine to rest.

Delboy

Oh dear that doesnt sound good, It crashes about once a day or every other but other than that it works fine. I can play online videos without problem, youtube etc. You dont think its a RAM problem then?

Delboy

Unfortunately not, I was hoping the Memtest would confirm, I have had a look on ebay and I can buy 2 x 2Gb for about £20 -£25 which I dont mind if its going to fix it but a bit wastefull if it isnt :-(

C4C

2008, how long has it been since you cleaned the dust out? Heat, maybe.
So much dust was clogging up my old laptop before I cleaned it out (little brother's now)... and it sat on a desk for it's whole life..

I second finding a video on taking it apart to clean! :D