Is Webcam Safe?

Megalord

Webcam Safety

Hello there, thank you for your time. I was just wondering if webcam is safe from perverts. I mean is it possible while you are viewing cam with your friend there could be an unknown hacker watching you and even recording you without you having any clue about it?

Megalord

Well I am using Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. So let's say I am viewing my cam with my friend and my friend is viewing his / her cam. Are we at risk? Could anyone be hacking and watching us without our knowledge?

tremmor

i would think its possible. On my Asus Eee ive used Skype with family. the option is there to keep private and by invitation only. My wife had one that attached to the screen on hers. She used it the same way. and found out one day she had turned it on by accident. the people that were invited before could just watch her do what ever she was doing on the computer or walking around in the room.
She said get rid of it. thats enough. has not used it since.

Megalord

So webcam removed? So what should I do then? Msn can only be by invitation, yahoo messenger by request / invitation. How come hers allowed others to view automatically? This is scary!

tremmor

i know for sure she logged out. it might be it bothered her because she still had the camera on. forgot to turn it off and got paranoid. even with the camera on i think you would have to log out and be safe. Im not sure. only used it a few times. kind of neat though.

jjsevdt

I haven't experienced that personally. The camera could be activated on the computer without broadcasting. I use Skype and haven't experinced any problems.

FairDoos

Lol your treating webcam as if its something not to be messed with..

The webcam will only be turned on by request from the person who uses the PC with the webcam. No hacker will be watching you unless your mum has put some spyware software that takes screenshots of your screen but they wont be able to record you if they tried to you would notice and it would be quite hard for a hacker to da that anyway just keep your Anti-Virus software up to date and you wont have problems

Trust me its safe to use just watch who you go on webcam to *cough*chatroulette*cough*

Megalord

Hmm, thanks for the replies guys. I was browsing similar topics online, some asking afraid during cam sex, some asking for their girlfriend's insecurity, and some are just afraid to even turn on the webcam. Wow.

bkribbs

[-0MEGA-];1483326 said:
Nothing on the internet is safe.

That is true. Anything that is done can be hacked by someone, somewhere. It is just more of being careful and not drawing attention to yourself.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If your machine gets rooted, by any sort of malware, trojan horse, or through some sort of social engineering hack, your web cam can be recorded and you can access it remotely.

ianne

Anything you do on your webcam can be recorded without your permission, you can be recorded on any website and on any video chat program. Unless you are in a private mode.

Last edited:

Twist86

Yep sadly when your not using it id unplug your webcam. Specially if its in your bedroom...might find yourself on the net one day :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
Here is how you avoid this:

1) Use strong and secure passwords

2) do not download or install any software that isn't from a legitimate company.

3) Keep active and up-to-date security software

4) Don't go to websites that promote illegal activity or that aren't for a legit cause or organization

If you use best practices you have little to worry about. If you are that paranoid use a band-aid to cover the web cam, that way the padded part of the band-aid will not scratch the lens of the camera in case you ever want to sell that laptop.