Is Windows 10 Properly Installed on my SSD?

zeal923

Is Windows 10 properly configured and installed on my SSD?

I recently built my first PC (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3PyGnn), but while installing Windows through a USB flash drive, I did not follow advice to remove all drives besides the one you are installing Windows 10 on from the PC so the Windows files do not scatter across drives. In other words, I had both my SSD (which I want to install Windows on) and my HDD (which I DO NOT want to install Windows on) connected to my PC during Windows installation. So now I am worried about Windows not being properly installed on my SSD and being scattered across onto my HDD.

This is my disk management: http://imgur.com/a/neK5P

Is everything is configured properly? If so, why do I have Windows Boot Manager (SSD) as Boot Option #1 in my BIOS, and not my SSD? My SSD is Boot Option #2. Is this normal?

Thanks

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
A quick test to validate where the boot loader is, if you disconnect the HDD and you can still boot into windows then it's all on the SSD.

zeal923

A quick test to validate where the boot loader is, if you disconnect the HDD and you can still boot into windows then it's all on the SSD.
Thank you! As for Windows Boot Manager, do you know if it is normal to be there for UEFI BIOSes?

beers

Staff member
UEFI is essentially the BIOS replacement on modern platforms. A lot of boards will support both, generally referred to as 'Compatibility Module (CSM)' or similar. You should be able to choose whether to boot into Legacy or UEFI mode.

zeal923

UEFI is essentially the BIOS replacement on modern platforms. A lot of boards will support both, generally referred to as 'Compatibility Module (CSM)' or similar. You should be able to choose whether to boot into Legacy or UEFI mode.
Ah, I see. Thank you! But is Windows Boot Manager the normal assigned boot option? I just want to know if it is only me who has that option, and whether it is an issue or standard in all UEFI BIOSes.

Darren

Staff member
That's totally normal, likely means you're installed in UEFI mode as well which is good. In Legacy mode you'll see it point to the drive, in UEFI it'll usually just say Windows Boot Manager and may or may not also indicate which drive it's on. If it doesn't but it works, you're fine.

OS files also don't "spread" themselves. It installs everything to the OS drive unless you tell it to otherwise or manually store things there yourself.

zeal923

That's totally normal, likely means you're installed in UEFI mode as well which is good. In Legacy mode you'll see it point to the drive, in UEFI it'll usually just say Windows Boot Manager and may or may not also indicate which drive it's on. If it doesn't but it works, you're fine.

OS files also don't "spread" themselves. It installs everything to the OS drive unless you tell it to otherwise or manually store things there yourself.
Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful! And yes, my Windows Boot Manager option has my SSD in parenthesis next to it, indicating that it is on my SSD. Thank you!!