Is Windows 7 RC - the same as releasing a full retail version of Win 7

Jamin43

banned
Yes.

If you're running Vista, type dxdiag into the search box. If you're running XP, click start > run and type dxdiag. What's the model name and number of your PC?

DELL Dimension 2400 ( Your computer can not find dixdiag, Make sure you typed name correctly, then try again.)

OR

DELL Dimension 4500 ( same message as above )

Last edited by a moderator:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
DELL Dimension 2400 ( Your computer can not find dixdiag, Make sure you typed name correctly, then try again.)

OR

DELL Dimension 4500 ( same message as above )

It's dxdiag. Sorry for the typo.

Neither of those machines meet the minimum video requirements for Aero. You should be able to run basic mode.

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
It's dxdiag. Sorry for the typo.

Neither of those machines meet the minimum video requirements for Aero. You should be able to run basic mode.

PC 2400 Intel(R)82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller - 64MB total memory

PC 4500 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra - 32 MB Total Memory

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
PC 2400 Intel(R)82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller - 64MB total memory

PC 4500 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra - 32 MB Total Memory

You know, I don't think either of those support DirectX 9, so I don't think you'll be able to run 7. You can try. What version of DirectX are you running at the moment?

bcoffee20

this is kinda a dumb question but i havent been keeping up with windows 7. is windows 7 rc alot different than the beta version i have from a lil while back

A Cheese Danish

this is kinda a dumb question but i havent been keeping up with windows 7. is windows 7 rc alot different than the beta version i have from a lil while back

Not really. I have the RC now, and The only thing that has changed from 7077, is the transparent taskbar and windows. Mine are more of a whiter blue, and not very transparent.
It seems to boot up a little bit faster as well. IMO, it's worth a shot to try out.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You know, I don't think either of those support DirectX 9, so I don't think you'll be able to run 7. You can try. What version of DirectX are you running at the moment?

I think the DX9 requirement is only for Aero, you can turn off Aero and have a lower end video card.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
From the dxdiag screen - It looks like both PC's are using Direct X 9.0c

Go ahead and attempt the install. If your hardware isn't supported, you'll probably get an error message before installation completes.

larryq22

Price of Windows 7

Hey guys, here's a few pretty dumb questions:

1. I am using Vista Home Premium. Will I have to pay to get Windows 7, or is it free? Somewhere I got the impression RCs are free but RTM will cost.

2. Can I install Win7 on top of Vista HP? Or do I need to uninstall Vista first. That would worry me, not having an OS on the computer for however brief a time.

3. If Win7 is free and downloadable, what is the best website to use?

Thanks for your patience,
Larry

Bodaggit23

Hey guys, here's a few pretty dumb questions:

1. I am using Vista Home Premium. Will I have to pay to get Windows 7, or is it free? Somewhere I got the impression RCs are free but RTM will cost.

You are correct. The Release Candidate will be free for about a year.
After that, you will have to buy the RTM when it's released.

2. Can I install Win7 on top of Vista HP? Or do I need to uninstall Vista first. That would worry me, not having an OS on the computer for however brief a time.

I don't know what Vista HP is, but when Windows 7 RTM released, you will
have the same options for install as any other Retail OS.

3. If Win7 is free and downloadable, what is the best website to use?

It will be released on Tuesday, so there is no link yet.

Thanks for your patience,
Larry

Answers in Red.

bcoffee20

vista hp= vista home premium i presume. im guessing you can since you can with the beta windows 7 but then you wont be able to go back without alot annoying pains. if you plan on buying windows seven when the full version comes out in 2010 then it shouldnt matter if you install over your vista.

Bodaggit23

The download takes FOREVER!!!!! with their D/L manager

I'm a couple hours into the download - and it's only 63 % downloaded. Hopefully tomorrow am - it'll be done.

What's your internet speed? The 32 bit version took me 2 hours.
I have a 3Mb connection.

I downloaded at max speed with the download manager.