Is WWAN and Wireless broadband the same?

douche

If not, what's the difference? And how does the performance compare to DSL, Cable or other forms of broadband?

Aastii

VIP Member
I don't theink they are the same.

there are 3 types of area network, LAN, MAN and WAN

LAN is local area network which links a few systems in one building or one site.

WAN which is Wide Area Network links computers over a larger area, maybe several buildings or several sites in different areas.

MAN is a Metropolitan Area Network and these are used to link government buildings and such, for example libraries which are linked to other libraries, schools linked to other school in the same borough, you get the idea.

WWAN is like a wireless WAN and here is where the difference is.

LAN, WAN and MAN are all intranet, they are sharing information within a company or institution and to get to the world wide web they need an external internet provider. The internet is the internet, different to intranet, because it links many networks with information from all over the world on the same global network.

Speed depends upon your hardware. If you have a network set up in your house you iwll see what i mean. You can make all of the somputers in your house "speak" to each other over a network so that you can share files and folders and you can even get a main hub (server) with all of the common information on that all the systems in your hom need. Now yoiu can get a bargain basement wireless router and a cheap wireless adapter in your computers and the speed and range will suck. You can then get an expensive router and adapters and the speed and range will be very good. Because it doesn't go through wires or over a long way and because there aren't thousands of other users trying to get information going down the same wire or strand of glass the speed is limited to whatever speeds your hardware can transfer at

Compare that to broadband and you are limited to what i said above, how far you are from your nearest box, what type of cable you are on, copper or fibre optic, how many people across the country are using the internet and also what package you are on

Last edited:

douche

They seem almost the same to me, here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&dn=1089860 it explains what a WWAN is, it's basically internet access via cellular phone towers (CDMA or GPRS, NOT both, AFAIK) Apparently, a WWAN PC card is needed for a laptop, and a USB modem for desktops to communicate with the cell phone tower. Whereas, Wireless Broadband connects to some sort of large, satellite-like antenna-based AP (Not sure, how it differs from a cell tower...), and i believe it needs the same hardware as WWAN. I think a company that has Wireless Broadband is called a Wireless ISP (WISP). Not sure if either WWAN or Wireless Broadband offer anything more than internet, and how safe this type of broadband is. I'm assuming it must use some sort of encryption for authentication, though. Heck, maybe WWAN is a short name for Wireless Broadband...