Isn´t Windows Defender enough? (Windows 10)

Lucia Garcia

Hi everyone. I am not into computers software to be honest...I am here because I recently bought a new pc that comes with windows 10. It came with a trial version of an antivirus, and yesterday it ended. What I am asking is If I should Install a free Antivirus like Avast or if Windows Defender is enough to protect my pc?

By the way, there´s another trial running in my pc, "Trend Micro Internet Security"...

Thanks guys in advance.

beers

Staff member
I wouldn't roll with just defender, but hey it's your data.

I'd delete Trend Micro though, they've traditionally been a turd sandwich.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can install the free version of Avast. Just do a custom install and only select file, web, and behavior shields. Uncheck everything else.

Agent Smith

I've read many, many times from users that the built-in Windows "defender" is good enough and that adding another anti-virus on top of that just messes things up. To be honest, your common definition-based anti-virus will not stop polymorphic malware. I would encourage you to look into Sandboxie for your browser. Go to their website, read about it, and check out their forum. Just stating the truth. I have my Sandboxie highly configured where not even HTML5 cookies remain to fingerprint me. Cache and cookies are always dumped with the browser.

Darren

Staff member
UBlock and Windows Defender are all I roll with for AV. Common sense does the job 9 times out of 10. If you're looking for something more, which is a good idea if you're worried about it, Avast or Avira are my usual suggestions.

_Pete_

You will get ten million different answers to this question. No anti virus is 100% effective. The virus writers will aways be one step ahead of the antivirus writers. Think about it it's pretty obviously logical. Your best defence is to back up your data frequently and do not keep the back up media connected to your data computer. Not even this is 100 guaranteed. When I worked for the government and when I was in the army we backed our data up four times and they were sent to different locations around the country and two of those locations were certified fireproof locations. Okay that is over the top generally but that is the way we did it then and, quite possibly, that is the way it is still done. I only use Defender and Malwarebytes. So far (15 years although I haven't been using defender for that long) I have only had a few bits of malware that Malwarebytes has taken care of. I haven't, so far, had a virus.