ISP horror stories

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
lol yea I've no idea how 30Mbps or even 10Mbps is painful. My grandad's 8Mbps down handles HD youtube just fine even when there are other downloads on the background.

Oh well.

strollin

I would kill for a 30Mbps connection. I live in a rural area with no access to cable or DSL and the best connection I can get is 1.5M down/up. Luckily, my employer pays the $91 a month for that.

The thread title says "ISP Horror stories" but I haven't seen anyone post any horror stories so here's mine:

I had an ISP that I had setup an automatic credit card payment with. It was a little 1 man operation and the guy was really slow to provide me with the invoices I needed to submit to my employer. One day my connection was dead so I called him to find out why. He said I hadn't paid the bill in 6 months so he cut me off. It turns out that my credit card that was on file had expired so when he went to charge it the charge was denied. He never contacted me about it to let me know as all that was needed was for me to give him the new expiration date. He had never sent me a bill or an invoice during this period. I had to pay him $600 to get my service back on. I then repeatedly asked for invoices and he eventually gave me all but one. I was never able to get that 1 month reimbursed from my employer since he never provided me with an invoice.

Last edited:

Perkomate

lol yea I've no idea how 30Mbps or even 10Mbps is painful. My grandad's 8Mbps down handles HD youtube just fine even when there are other downloads on the background.

Oh well.

I would do very bad things for 8mb/s. I can't load a 480p youtube video without it buffering unless it's at absolute peak speed.

Darren

Staff member
I live with 2.5 and I absolutely hate it. Downloading anything is atrociously slow and HD video doesn't really work very well.

lucasbytegenius

Whats wrong with 30mpbs? Its by no means slow. I could do anything on my 30mpbs connection without a hiccup. 10mpbs is pitiful. But 30mpbs is fast enough for pretty much anything you wanna do.

do you think 30 is shit?
do you really?
are you that ignorant that you think 30 is shit?
jesus christ this forum is getting worse and worse every time I'm on here

we're lucky to get 3.
3mb/s.
That's 10 times SLOWER than that, and you're complaining.

Jesus.

I'd kill for 30 as well but now that there's potential other options such as Google Fiber spreading to places everything just about every ISP in America is putting out is pitiful in comparison and drastically overpriced.

G80FTW

Just a comment about car dealers. They often bend over backwards to get a sale so your credit rating makes little difference. BTW when's the last time you checked your credit rating?

I was getting financed through my bank, not the dealer. The dealer I bought the car from does not finance. So it was my bank who said I had great credit. They said my score was 700. I assume that is good for someone my age. That was 3 months ago.

Darren

Staff member
I'm going to college in a year and a half and all of the ones I'm looking at have super fast internet! :D

Heck my High School has like 45ish down and 12ish up. It's madness. Then again you can't go anywhere on the internet, it's basically entirely shut down. I'm shocked I can get on the forum there since almost all forums are blocked. Maybe the IT head at the school is a lurker here.

spirit

Staff member
Then again you can't go anywhere on the internet, it's basically entirely shut down. I'm shocked I can get on the forum there since almost all forums are blocked. Maybe the IT head at the school is a lurker here.
I've not tried it in a while, but I believe the last time I tried I could get on here at school too, and most of the other forums are also blocked.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
do you think 30 is shit?
do you really?
are you that ignorant that you think 30 is shit?
jesus christ this forum is getting worse and worse every time I'm on here

we're lucky to get 3.
3mb/s.
That's 10 times SLOWER than that, and you're complaining.

Jesus.
I've got 3Mbps down, 768kpbs up from Verizon DSL. $24 per month and I'm happy.

3Mbps cable internet from Comcast is $39.95 a month, faster speeds are even worse.
And of course, that price is only if you have cable TV. I can't find the price for cable internet only but I imagine it's horrible.

Any time I see complaints about stuff like this I always remember the dark ages, also known as dialup.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
3Mbps cable internet from Comcast is $39.95 a month, faster speeds are even worse.
And of course, that price is only if you have cable TV. I can't find the price for cable internet only but I imagine it's horrible.

Add $10 to the price as thats what I have. Don't like their tv packages so I have dish network.

Perkomate

Any time I see complaints about stuff like this I always remember the dark ages, also known as dialup.

Yeah true that, we didn't have internet at all here until about 2001. Even then it was dialup for a good while, then 1mb/s down with a cap on 2gb a month until around 2009 or so.