ISP local connections over VPN?

newton

Apologies in advance if this is in the incorrect section; if it is, mods feel free to move it to the correct section.
Up until now, I used to use a USB modem. I recently switched ISPs, and from what it seems like, I think I am using an ADSL connection now.
Now I have run into a problem. I run a couple servers locally for in-house usage, and all of them connect via WiFi. I did not have this problem earlier, but right now, when I try to transfer files between computers using the local connection, using my local IP's, I get speeds same as the ones I get while transferring files over the internet. But this is a local connection. Hence I'm lead to believe that my ISP is somehow VPNing my connection. I do need to login to use the internet, and I've tried changing DNS servers, but the login IP still works, which is a local IP to my knowledge, as its something like : 1.xxx.xxx.xxx. I did check up the IP online, and the origin AS belongs to an ISP in RoK, which is not where I live, which leads me to believe that all my traffic is passing through the ISPs server first.
But yeah, what can I do to bypass this? Or somehow at least make my local connections work locally? I mean, this is ridiculous. I'm pissed. Why do you need to VPN my local connections as well? I should be getting around 37MB/s download speeds while transferring files locally, but instead, I get a shitty 200KB/s, which is outrageous. Now I don't want to disconnect from the internet whenever I have to transfer files over the local network. Any way to bypass this or any other way around it?

Geoff

VIP Member
If you disconnect your WAN, can you still get to your servers? Do speeds improve? If not, then it's just your wireless router having issues.

What wireless router do you have? Are you using 802.11g, n, or ac?

newton

I tried changing the server addresses to 192.168.x.x to 10.0.0.x, among other local addresses, and no matter which addresses I choose, it still stays the same. I'm using an Asus RT-N13U, 802.11n. Yes, after disconnecting WAN, its faster.

Geoff

VIP Member
Log into your router, is VPN enabled? Did you install and VPN software or have a VPN connection open to anywhere? I have never heard of this happening.

Just curious, but why are your servers wireless?

newton

My servers are wireless because I dislike wires, like, a lot. Nope, haven't connected to a VPN. I used to stay connected to VPNs 24 hours a day until a couple weeks ago, but never had this issue back then. I ran a traceroute from my laptop to my desktop;

MacBook-Air:~ a$ traceroute 10.0.0.7
traceroute to 10.0.0.7 (10.0.0.7), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 10.0.0.7 (10.0.0.7) 28.102 ms 2.586 ms 1.849 ms
1 10.0.0.7 (10.0.0.7) 223.650 ms 158.015 ms 143.373 ms
1 10.0.0.7 (10.0.0.7) 2.235 ms 1.480 ms 1.653 ms
MacBook-Air:~ a$

Now when I try transferring files, I'm getting around 3MB/s. So it seems like the issue has fixed itself. I don't know how this got fixed, but well, after formatting my laptop due to some other purpose, it is fixed for my laptop, and only this one device.

On other devices, a traceroute has like 50 blank hops, thats how long my patience lasted though.

Actually, just checked again, on other old devices, the traceroute got fixed, only a single hop direct to the server, but downloads are still slower, only 200KB/s like before.

Geoff

VIP Member
Those pings are definitely odd for a local network, you should not be getting 28 and 223ms pings. 1-3ms is normal for a wired to wireless ping.

When you do a traceroute with the WAN disconnected, what are the results?

beers

Staff member
Why you would have a server on wifi is beyond me. What is even the topology for that setup? You didn't mention anything about APs, wireless router, etc.

There is no 'magic VPN' that would either be enabled by default or alter traffic as you're stating.

Geoff

VIP Member
Why you would have a server on wifi is beyond me. What is even the topology for that setup? You didn't mention anything about APs, wireless router, etc.

There is no 'magic VPN' that would either be enabled by default or alter traffic as you're stating.
I am also interested in knowing the exact layout of your network. I bit my tongue when he said he wanted his servers on wifi because he didn't like wires, haha.