ISP, Torrents, MUST GET Anti-virus protection??

DaBossk

okay to sum it all up quick:
yesterday my isp kicked me offline! so i called my isp(qwest dsl high speed) and my isp said that i need to get anti-malware protection or there going to kick me offline again? what is this?!? how do they know if i even install anti malware protection?? why do i need it?? could this have to do with me torrenting movies, and music? please help. and actually they called my dad, im just repeating what my dad said... which sounds like BS....

any ideas why they would need me to install malware protection? and why would they turn off the internet for such a reason??

Ambushed

okay to sum it all up quick:
yesterday my isp kicked me offline! so i called my isp(qwest dsl high speed) and my isp said that i need to get anti-malware protection or there going to kick me offline again? what is this?!? how do they know if i even install anti malware protection?? why do i need it?? could this have to do with me torrenting movies, and music? please help. and actually they called my dad, im just repeating what my dad said... which sounds like BS....

any ideas why they would need me to install malware protection? and why would they turn off the internet for such a reason??

Mate, it sounds like your Dad has the "Old persons" condition his explanation isn't likely what the ISP said themselves. They wouldn't do this to you. What I would do is call the ISP and ask the agent to read out the history notes on your account to see what actually happened.

DaBossk

Mate, it sounds like your Dad has the "Old persons" condition his explanation isn't likely what the ISP said themselves. They wouldn't do this to you. What I would do is call the ISP and ask the agent to read out the history notes on your account to see what actually happened.

what are the history notes? like what went wrong?

DaBossk

The ISP agent that made the outbound call/spoke to your father would of left a detailed note onto what happened in the call and what he has explained.

ah okay i don't need to call my isp. it probably wasn't anything important ill just stop torrenting lol. thanks for the advice

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely they told your dad that someone was downloading illegally as most isp's are putting a kabosh on p2p software. Another possibility is that you or some other computer in the house is infected and sending out mass emails and your isp is catching that. Either way, you need to stop torrenting and install antivirus and malware programs on all machines and scan them for infections. Use Malwarebytes and Superantispyware for malware programs. AVG, AVIRA, or AVAST for antivirus.

Rit

My fiance had the same issue with quest. She was 'borrowing' tv shows and she'd leave her program up and running and Qwest shut her internet off cause they could see she was uploading more than downloading or something like that. And they didn't say she was doing anything illegal, they just 'hinted' at the cause of her bandwidth or something like that. I'll have to find her letter and see what it said again.

alienationware

@OP: Sounds like they kicked you off for pirating stuff. If I were in your position, I'd threaten to sue them b/c they'll keep up their (bad) behavior if you don't try to do something. ;)