ISP's

g4m3rof1337

Alright.
So, we may be switching ISP's.

We dont like our current one, AT&T.
We can have Comcast, though, service workers are constantly in our area working on Comcast stuff.

Anything else?

I am in the US. Close to Chicago.

Thanks.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Comcast cable is pretty good, it gets expensive after 6 months though. So just callup and cancel, and have your mom call abd re sign up. Great speeds, and reliable here in Cali. Have you looked to see whats available? Why dropping At&t? Did you know every 10 second a customer comes back to at&t.. :)

g4m3rof1337

Were in a contract.
We've been AT&T customers for years. And we dont like the way there treating us, and customer support.

Comcast seems fine. I could host a CSS server..

Hows satellite? Is it like a Dish for TV? Where it goes out during rain storms?

Thanks.

Emperor_nero

Don't go with satellite, it costs way more for much slower speeds. Plus there's a long response time so it would be bad for playing online games let alone hosting them.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I don't like Comcast at all. They are the only high speed ISP in our area, which is a huge bummer considering the terrible technical support, incompetent install/tech guys (so many screw up, I've encountered), bad service (no blackouts, but constantly bad line quality and DNS server F-ups). Other than that their at least nice... Oh wait no they're not. They've accused us of fraud twice, cut off our service and made us contact their fraud investigator, who cleared us each time, lickety split. Oh yeah and they lie, Almost made mah mom buy their $100 router/modem because more than one person assured her that no other router would work. Their evil out here man.

I know I'm biased considering the crappy service I've received, but to be honest, I've spent a fair bit of time on their Tech support forum and have seen an uncountable amount of bad feedback and reports, relaying the same stories as mine. I'd avoid them, If I were you, and you had another choice, but Trizoy doesn't seem to have had a nightmares with them, so you could luck out and be completely satisfied with them. I on the other hand have had many a unfulfilled daydream about exploderizing them up, preferably with some sort of Air-fuel bomb....

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Well you might be satisfied. TBH when we first got Comcast it was great for a about a month, other than the personnel problems. It was only after they first accused us of fraud did service really go down, bringing on some paranoid thoughts..

sigh as well, good luck, and report back on whether service is good out there! :)

g4m3rof1337

Hah alright.

Off hand, can I find out the upload speed?

We got the 8mb package, and I think it comes with powerboost, adding 12mb, giving us like 16mb.

I cant find the upload though.

Thanks.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I think powerbost only ups the download speed, so I believe upload speed will be 756k, the standard. That's like 90KBps.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Because they pay alot of money? My $30 4 megabit connection gives me 35KB upload speed, no more. A business line would give a larger upload speed but those are a couple hundred bucks.

Your upload may be higher or lower than what I said, I just remember 756k is what they offered us in an 8mb connection. They've always got acouple deals out, and such I dunno for certain if you guys got a special deal or not.

g4m3rof1337

I was under the impression that the powerboost raises my actual speeds.

Some rep said that I had the 8mb package with powerboost, thus giving me 16mb total.

Wouldn't my upload speed have to go up to?

Thanks.

I just really want my upload speed to at least get over 1mb so I can host a CSS server and stuff.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
They lied, I believe. I'm not surprised.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14520

The links below the article show Comcast pages confirming that powerboost does in-fact raise upload speed, but only for the first 5 Mbs, and download speed for the first 10Mbs, making it more of a short-term downloading enhancer.

As per the concerned upload speeds,

* Speed comparisons for downstream speed only and compare Comcast 8Mbps to 1.5Mbps DSL (maximum upload speed is 768kbps for the 8Mbps service, and 1Mbps for the 16Mbps service). Not available in all areas. In certain areas Comcast offers 16Mbps downstream instead of 8Mbps for its premium highspeed internet service. Many factors affect speed. Actual speed may vary and are not guaranteed. Please call 1.866.357.4118 for restrictions, availability and details.

Fine print from the Comcast site. I have no experience with hosting game servers, and don't know the optimum speed requirements, but the difference between the 1mb and 768k is only about 20kBps, not a great deal.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
It's temporary. It'll uncap your connection speed for first bit of a transfer, then cap it back. You'll be getting about 1 megabyte down, and 95 Kilobytes up the majority of the time.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
That will be your regular upload/download speeds, that is the total. Remember that internet speeds are measured in megabits, not megabytes. Thus an 8megabit (8mbps) connection will need to be divided by 8 to realize actual transfer rates, as 8 bits go into one byte.

In the first 10mB's of any download, your connection will have the possible connection speed of 16 megabits, or 2 megabytes. And for the first 5mB's of any upload transer you''l have a potential 1mbps, or around 125 kilobytes per second, thanks to powerboost. Do you understand? Or have I misunderstand you?

Jesu I hate the internets.