Issue about transfering iTunes to new laptop.

Stattovic

With my old laptop on its last legs I pruchased a new one.
Windows 10 etc.

Trying to be clever I used a pendrive and loaded from the old laptop all the files under "This PC > Music" the whole folder called iTunes - Artwork, Media et al. Took over an hour.

Then using the same pendrive uploaded them to the new laptop into where it said music, Thinking I was very clever, however as soon I as I attempted to play something and I tried a few albums I got the message - "The song Gayaneh Suite No,3 (an example of one) could not be used because the original could not be found, Would you like to locate it?"

All in all a nightmare, have I missed something here ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you copy shortcuts instead of the actual files? Did you install iTunes on the new PC?

_Kyle_

Install iTunes on the new laptop, sign in, and I think everything on the account should be accessible.

JoeyStyles

I've got the same message after the recent Windows 10 update. I reinstalled iTunes on my laptop but that didn't really help. Gosh, I hate these updates because my system always gets crazy. Unfortunately, it's very hard to turn off these updates because of Microsoft policy, so I have to suffer or maybe to switch the system on linux or back to Windows 7. Another problem after the recent update was to change itunes backup location but I managed to solve this problem thanks to techplugged guide. Honestly, such guides are very helpful to the noobs like me and make our digital "lives" easier.

Last edited:

DavidG

Install iTunes on the new laptop, sign in, and I think everything on the account should be accessible.
This will work only for tracks/Albums purchased through iTunes, anything else such as tracks ripped from CDs or other downloads these would need to be imported.
Here is the official iTunes link to show you what to do

You could also turn on home sharing in iTunes on both computers, sign in with the the same account and copy your library across that way.Screenshot 2021-02-11 195832.png