issue with Ethernet and or modem

constancelvl

I will try not to make this longwinded. My brother had an hp desktop, he was told the NIC card died. I ordered him a brand new system and in the interim allowed him to use my laptop while it was being 'built.' I had received the new system connected to my comcast high speed. Everything was working perfectly. He brought the computer to his house and the Ethernet light wasn't working. He was unable to get online. He changed out the Ethernet cable, twice. His ISP is AT&T, I don't have the model number of that modem but he noticed it heats up a lot. I gave him back my laptop and of course in true fashion it is up and running. I tried the new computer again, only this time hooking it up to the same type of ISP he is using in my office...........and as I thought it would, it worked. I know most of this is trial and error. I'm leaning towards having a new modem, another new Ethernet and an AT&T tech come on site. He can't understand why my laptop would work with no issues but his old PC and the new PC are unable to get online. Any suggestions?

thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So just to understand, this modem doesn't have wireless and he wasn't using that to hook up the laptop? If the modem is getting hot, its definately not a good thing.

It was pretty drastic to order a new system just because he couldn't get online. I say this is a modem issue of somesort, it seems the network cards are good.

constancelvl

So just to understand, this modem doesn't have wireless and he wasn't using that to hook up the laptop? If the modem is getting hot, its definately not a good thing.

It was pretty drastic to order a new system just because he couldn't get online. I say this is a modem issue of somesort, it seems the network cards are good.
His system was 8 years old and beyond it's life span. In my opinion a new system was the next step, initially it was thought it was the NIC card. It wouldn't have made sense to put money into that ancient device. It was not connected wirelessly. His modem mor is he capable of that :]

richJ

there may be the problem on the desktop computer motherboard ethernet port.
otherwise if port is right but there may be problem on the motherbord either your computer is new but user should always try to use cat 5 or cat 6 cable for supporting of internet from modem to computer.

linkin

VIP Member
I believe his moden is shot. Maybe he can get a tech to come and test the modem and possibly replace it. ISP's are good with that.

Damorian

I wouldn't jump to the modem being broken yet. Every ISP I've had requires that you use the same MAC address, but the new NIC has a different one. Try cloning the MAC from the old card and laptop and see if that fixes it.