Issue with my computer

I am having a issue with my computer I can't seem to resolve and would be grateful if I could get some help.

Last week my computer was doing fine. It wasn't crashing nor was it freezing. One day though, I was playing a game and I played a match and then was sitting in the main menu idling a bit while I was on the phone and when I came back to want to close the game, the computer froze for a few seconds and then it crashed to a black screen and then it stayed on a black screen forever while the fans in the case and the rgb's still going but nothing happen. This was about 35 or so minutes of gaming. I thought nothing of it and restarted my computer, did a disk defrag, I went out and came back and it was done.

I then try to got on a game with my friend and again mid game, my computer froze up, crashed to a black screen and did nothing. I restarted it and did a /sfc scannow and said everything was ok. I decide to update my graphics driver to the latest update since I down graded it to a build that was supposed better than the latest updates. Me and my friend try to get on another game and while the game was loading my computer froze up and crashed again. I let my computer be until the next day. I decided to take my PC apart and clean out the dust and when I was done and booted up, I was met with a message saying, "The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS Setup.

Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM Parameters, and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device".

So I start googling what to do and is to enable the CSM settings and I do that but there's no change and I keep getting the same message. I notice that my computer is not detecting any of my 2 hard drives nor my ssd. It is however detecting the CPU and the RAM. So I think it to be my power supply is failing since I've had it since 2017, I get a new PSU and new SATA cables and when I boot up I still get the message and computer not reading any of my drives. I unplug the drives and only leave the drive that has windows on it plugged in and I boot up, still get the message, and still no drives detected. I unplug all the drives now and still get the message, so for sure it is not detecting anything. The drives feel like they are working when I place my finger on it I can feel vibration. I even put a new 2032 battery in and nothing changed.

I am at a loss here as I don't know what to do. Something was making my computer freeze up and crash and now I am having an issue I can't fix. My friend tells me he thinks it might be my motherboard or my cpu failing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My build is:
ASUS m5a99fx pro r2.0
G.skill 16gb ram
AMD FX 8370
New EVGA 850w PSU
Windows 10
5700 Thicc III
2 HDD, 1 SSD

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into your bios and reset to default settings or select optimize settings whichever is available. Reboot and see what happens. Just replacing the cmos battery won't do anything. I literally had to do this with a clients computer yesterday to get it to boot, bios even recognized the boot drive so not sure why the hiccup. Once you reset settings, go back into the bios and set things up like you have them before with first boot drive and anything else you may have changed. Did you have anything overclocked by chance?

Go into your bios and reset to default settings or select optimize settings whichever is available. Reboot and see what happens. Just replacing the cmos battery won't do anything. I literally had to do this with a clients computer yesterday to get it to boot, bios even recognized the boot drive so not sure why the hiccup. Once you reset settings, go back into the bios and set things up like you have them before with first boot drive and anything else you may have changed. Did you have anything overclocked by chance?

That's pretty fun you mention you were dealing with an issue like mine. What are the odds.

For my bios I selected optimized setting and I did accept to optimize, saved and restarted, and when it boots up I still get greeted by the message and when in the bios, none of my drives show up on the boot priority's.

I also did not have anything overclocked.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check the bios settings for sata ports, they should be enabled. It's possible that maybe the sata ports are dead. Try different ports as well. Were you plugged into the gray or blue sata ports?

So yesterday I took out all my rams and only left 1 in. I also plugged in all my drives. I individually tested each ram stick and everytime I booted I was met by the message, and no drives showing up in the boot priority. After reaching the bios, I would load optimized default's, save and restart, be met by the message with every ram I tested. The Mobo does detect each ram every time I swapped to the next stick to test.

I also rearranged my SATA cables from ports 1-3, to ports 4, 5, and 6. You mentioned to check what SATA ports, so for my mobo, the Sata ports are all one color, grey, and numbered Sata6G_1-6. When in the bios, I went into the Sata configuration options and it said SATA6G_1-6 Not Present. I click on the SB SATA configuration options and the list of things opens up the following:

Onchip SATA channel - Enabled
Sata port 1-4 - AHCI
Sata port 5-6 - AHCI
SMART status check - Enabled
Sata ESP on Port1-6 - Disabled

It is not reading any of the Sata ports it seems.

It could be a possibility the Sata ports are dead as you said. My friend is going to try and use a USB with windows on it and see if anything happens.

beers

Staff member
I'm kind of confused by your troubleshooting methodology, I'd boot to a Linux LiveCD and see if you can get anything out of the drives, but if they're not showing up in the BIOS screen then it's likely you won't see them in the OS at a device level.
I decided to take my PC apart and clean out the dust
Full teardown? What does this entail? It sounds like it was freezing randomly (usually RAM, maybe storage was flaking out), but then fully doesn't work at all after messing with it.

I had a similar problem with one of my laptops and either the SSD failed and destroyed a SATA port, or one of the SATA ports died and destroyed the SSD, could literally not get anything out of the interface until using a drive caddy in another interface with another drive.

On the plus side AM3 boards are pretty inexpensive.